Hire the best Painter and save up to 40%

2 Dangerous Issues before Painting House Exterior

Exclamation 2 Dangerous Issues before Painting House Exterior

Hi,
    There are two issues here, 1./ concerning asbestos and the other 2./ regarding power lines further down below.

1./I would like to know what would be a good way to get this asbestos prepared for painting that is under the roof on my house? Since it would be dangerous to sand or grind it then how would I get the flaky paint off and prepare it to paint? I do have access to my neighbors domestic water blaster which I tried last week and I'm able to use when I need it. Would this be sufficient to get it ready for painting as it won't get it smooth like sanding would but it does take some of the old paint if I get it close enough? Here are two pics, one a close up and one standing back a bit:

2./The other safety issue is regarding some power lines that are next to where I want to paint. I'm quite nervous around power lines so I'm not wanting to go near that part and when I washed the house a few days ago I never went near that part witht the hose in case I got a shock through the hose. If that is possible, I don't know but I wasn't about to experiment ? I would appreciate some ideas on how to prepare the surfaces close to those lines as in the pics below:

You can see more details about this house if required from this thread which I will be updating as I go. I wanted to create a separate thread for this as it's quite important and an area that requires some special attention so I get it right and some good advice.
    My

China

Can't help with the asbestos, but water blasting seem a good way to go, as for the power line contact your supplier and they will come out and place insulating blankets over the wires and remove them when you are done, I can't speak for where you are
    but my mate who lives in the northern suburbs of Adelaide had this done it cost him $150

Golden Member

You will still most likely have to scrape some of the flakes off, so use a good quality mask.
    Take your time when cleaning and painting around the wires, Make sure you have someone
    steadying the ladder and give you guidance.
    As for painting Im not sure if I mentioned this to you in another post but make sure you use a flat white paint, do not use gloss.
    I don't know why but I have seen so many eaves in full gloss that crack and blister.
    My parents house is now 40 years with still the original flat white and still like new.
    You will also find the flat white should hide a lot of the blisters and cracks whereas
    a gloss will highlight any imperfection.
    You will not know how good the hiding effects of flat paint is until it has been coated
    at least twice and dried completely.
    I am still finishing a reno on a rental property I have and had the same situation as you.
    One side was similar to yours and the other I had to replace the asbestos as it had deteriorated to far.
    Both painted flat white and they both look new.

Forgot to mention, make sure you use a sealer first, then two coats of topcoat.
    I also painted the fascia board a flat white two top coats with a mold inhibitor, no sealer.
    Eaves just a general exterior paint and fascia a good quality solarguard again with mold inhibitor.

Please don't pressure wash or hose anywhere near those power lines!

Electricity travels down water much faster than water travels out of a hose. Also, you have the old dangers of water and electricity - wet human hands and feet make good electrical conductors. "Tiger tails" won't help when pressure washing or hosing as water can seep under them.

I don't know what the correct procedure in this case (as this arrangement is not common in my area). Perhaps you should call your electricity supplier and ask them for advice.

GeoffW1

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    Please don't pressure wash or hose anywhere near those power lines!

Electricity travels down water much faster than water travels out of a hose. Also, you have the old dangers of water and electricity - wet human hands and feet make good electrical conductors. "Tiger tails" won't help when pressure washing or hosing as water can seep under them.

I don't know what the correct procedure in this case (as this arrangement is not common in my area). Perhaps you should call your electricity supplier and ask them for advice.
    Hi,

Aren't the supply wires fully insulated right through the attachment point and into the roof space? I thought that was normal, mine are.

As to the shock hazard, what about rain then?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffW1 View Post
    Hi,

Aren't the supply wires fully insulated right through the attachment point and into the roof space? I thought that was normal, mine are.

Cheers
    They may well be insulated, as I've stated, I'm not familiar with the arrangement. Also, I wouldn't know the condition of the insulation on the wires.

With regard to rain, rain comes downwards and the fitting, such as insulators and the junction box, are designed to cope with downward water from rain. The ability of them to cope with upward water steams from a pressure wash could be questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffW1 View Post
    Hi,

Cheers
    The supply wires appear to be insulated between the insulators and the fascia, they are clearly bare back to the pole.

I wouldn't have a problem hosing down the eaves, but I'd stay away from the fascia.

By the way, no problem with rain which is non continuous drops, a continuous stream from a hose is different.

This is my opinion only.
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Can't help with the asbestos, but water blasting seem a good way to go, as for the power line contact your supplier and they will come out and place insulating blankets over the wires and remove them when you are done
    Yes I think I'll go through with the blaster before doing anything. The idea about the insulating blankets sounds good but I'm not to sure Id want to spend that much so I might just have to clean around there carfully and then paint as best I can in that area.

nww1969, yes i think you told me some of these things in my other thread and I got some solargaurd and mold killer plus undercoat/sealer. Your advice is appreciated and I will be doing all those things.

Perhaps you should call your electricity supplier and ask them for advice.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    Yes I will give them a call about this and ask them what they charge for the insulating blankets etc as well. I know what you mean about water and electricity which is why I have been careful here.

Aren't the supply wires fully insulated right through the attachment point and into the roof space?
    I'm going to have to call Enegery AU and see what they say...

thanks everyone, this has been a big help
    My