Hire the best Painter

advice for painting trims, skirts etc

PVS

Default advice for painting trims, skirts etc

Hi guys,

I need some advice on painting our trims, skirts, arcs & doors. We are renovating a 1940's home, and the skirts, arcs, and doors will be new (MDF skirts semi solid doors). Because we are going for a white shade to paint these, and after reading many useful posts on this forum about oil based paints yellowing we have decided on the Dulux aquanamel.

The only problem is we are keeping some original etched sliding doors that are a bit of feature, which are currently painted in an oil based paint, so I have sanded down the painted parts of these doors and frames to get rid of the 'gloss'.

Now I have been advised that I should use an oil based primer / undercoat, then I can paint over it with the Dulux aquanamel...has anyone done this or can confirm that this is the right way to go about it?

I am also not sanding back to bare wood - just getting rid of the shine from the oil based paint, I have read a few posts suggesting this will be okay but if anyone would like to add some added reassurance I'll happily take it

I have tried to attach a pic of the doors I am painting....I hope it worked??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture-038.jpg  

any paint shop should have a Flood's product that is designed to ensure a bind between the surfaces you're referring to .... but I believe there are heaps of primers made specifically for this purpose. Cheers
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

PVS

Thanks seriph1...I asked Bunnings but got a few different answers...will try an actual paint shop

Oil Based undercoat will do the trick. Wait 24 hours. Then sand with 180 grit paper lightly just to smooth the surface and to help the top coats adhere. Dust all surfaces then apply top coats of acrylic trim paint.

If you don't apply the oilbased undercoat and you paint straight over the previous oil based enamel finish, then it won't adhere to the surface properly and will peel and scratch easily.

PVS

thanks for that keepontruckin....but dammit I have to do MORE sanding??? I've just about had enough

As I am sanding I am discovering that the doors have had three separate coats of paint on them...in a variety of glorious colours obviously popular in the 1940's, first pink, green, and yellow

1K Club Member

Sanding, sanding, more sanding it should be called sanding, not painting!!. I haven't used it myself, but a painter friend highly recommends ESP (Easy Surface Preparation). This is a rub-on product that etches the paint surface. What I have used is Zinzer undercoat on difficult surfaces before. There are several different types that stick to absolutely everything. I am about to use the oil based Zinzer on artificial wood grain (the stuff that looks a bit like laminate) that we want to paint. Most proper paint shops carry it. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

PVS

Yes I have heard variable stuff on ESP but great things about the Zinser, I think I might use a tin of Zinser oil based primer / undercoat just to be safe. I guess it's safe to say Bunnings wouldnt stock it??

yup - ESP is the product ... also, try using a heat gun instead .... they work really well for getting the majority of old paint off - I love 'em and my arms don't hurt anywhere near as much

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here