Hire the best Painter

Best way to stain one side of a timber fence

Default Best way to stain one side of a timber fence

Hello guys! I have a timber paling fence and I wanted to know what are my options for staining it without creating a mess on the other side (neighbors property). I wanted to use the cheap Wagner sprayers but most reviews here in the fora aren't great. Using a fence brush, I would assume deliver more paint but might leak on the other side causing it to look terrible. Paint rollers on the other hand can't paint all the small edges. With these, I can only think of cutting the small edges with brush and the flat part with rollers. Is there a better way of doing it perhaps?

Also, I wanted to stain so I can see the grains while enhancing the colors. I'm looking at Timber Protect from Bunnings as it's inexpensive (any catch perhaps?) and hoping some people could share their experience as I can't find it on the manufacturer's website even! Thanks!

2K Club Member

Is this a treated pine paling fence?

Golden Member

I used a wagner airless sprayer, used alot of stain though, which got expensive..

Be careful if it's a treated pine fence and you're only staining your side that it will warp and twist over time

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    Is this a treated pine paling fence?
    Hi joynz, it is a pine timber fence. Is it safe to assume that it is treated as I couldn't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I used a wagner airless sprayer, used alot of stain though, which got expensive..

Be careful if it's a treated pine fence and you're only staining your side that it will warp and twist over time
    Hi Optimus, I was looking at the airless version but I find them a bit expensive for me. The best I could do would be the W100 or Flexio series. Reading at both manuals, I think I would only be needing the fine finish attachment so even the cheaper $99 W100 model would be good enough for me.

From how the fence is constructed between houses, my part of the fence gets most of the sunlight. With that in mind, would staining even pose issues? I thought painting might cause future problems thus I would like to go with staining as it's penetrating instead of film-forming like the varnishes and paints.

1K Club Member

The warping comes down to moisture loss from the timber, it one side is sealed and one isn't you'll get problems.
    I'd talk to the neighbour and discuss sharing the price of the stain and doing both sides, or maybe they will pay for the stain if you put it on?
    If it is treated pine it will need all the protection it can get, and if the stain you are using protects as well as stains, you may be able to convince your neighbour that it will make the fence last longer.
    Painting with a big brush would be much quicker than a half-arsed airless sprayer, a proper airless sprayer would smash it in no time though. Have you considered hiring one?
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    If it is treated pine it will need all the protection it can get
    Not sure why!

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Not sure why!
    Read this for some insight - https://thelogfactory.com.au/informa...e-maintenance/
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I am only aware of the CCA type of paling fence and haven't noticed any need to protect it. Out of interest, what part of Australia are you Whitey?

from that link:
    "CCA Treated Pine
    You probably wont experience any problems using CCA treated pine. It can be painted or stained or oiled with whatever you like."

1K Club Member

I am only aware of the CCA type of paling fence and haven't noticed any need to protect it. Out of interest, what part of Australia are you Whitey?

from that link:
    "CCA Treated Pine
    You probably wont experience any problems using CCA treated pine. It can be painted or stained or oiled with whatever you like."
    I think that is saying you won't have have any problems with staining, painting or oiling that particular timber. Some of the others need special prep and coatings.

This is the most important part of that link - Maintenance of all treated pine is particularly important for longevity. The warranties for treated pine no longer exist like years gone by.
    I'm in country NSW where we get a maximum difference in temperature of around 52 degrees celsius over the year so maybe it's worse here than other places, but no matter where you are it will last much longer if it's protected properly.

I think that is saying you won't have have any problems with staining, painting or oiling that particular timber.
    Perhaps you can take the comment that way but if it is a paling fence, painting it will hardly make any difference to it's longevity. For horizontally laid timber, yes it will protect it from splitting mainly. For a paling fence, I just wouldn't waste the effort unless you wanted a dark background to highlight plants.

...you may be able to convince your neighbour that it will make the fence last longer...
    Their side of the fence had screen plants so it will be a pain to be painted I guess.

...unless you wanted a dark background to highlight plants.
    That's my only objective on this one. So, is it safe to stain just one part and not to worry about anything?

Golden Member

Treated pine fences only last 8 odd years anyway.. just go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Treated pine fences only last 8 odd years anyway.. just go for it
    I reckon mine is at least 20 years old now and still going strong. The hardwood fence it replaced was devoured by termites and lasted about 8!

Thanks for the inputs guys! I think I will go ahead and stain it then.

With the stain, I heard that some cheap products might just be leftovers combined. I was about to go Sikkens but I heard a lot of not so good reviews here. Is there are recommended stain that I can use instead?