Hire the best Painter

British Paints wall paint containing 'built in' undercoat.

Default British Paints wall paint containing 'built in' undercoat.

I just had the INSIDE of my garage rendered and now I want to paint it. Being a garage it doesnt need to be absolutely perfect. I know I need to prime/undercoat/seal the new bare concrete first (with a product such as Dulux 1 Step or similar) before applying the wall paint. British Paints interior paint British Paints InColour Low Sheen - British Paints claims to contain a built in undercoat, I'm wondering if this would be sufficient for the job or if I will have to prime/undercoat/seal separately?

And as an aside, why dont Dulux or Taubmans offer a similar product? Is it that they want you to spend more buying separate undercoat as well?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
    I just had the INSIDE of my garage rendered and now I want to paint it. Being a garage it doesnt need to be absolutely perfect. I know I need to prime/undercoat/seal the new bare concrete first (with a product such as Dulux 1 Step or similar) before applying the wall paint. British Paints interior paint British Paints InColour Low Sheen - British Paints claims to contain a built in undercoat, I'm wondering if this would be sufficient for the job or if I will have to prime/undercoat/seal separately?

And as an aside, why dont Dulux or Taubmans offer a similar product? Is it that they want you to spend more buying separate undercoat as well?
    I have done alot of painting in my time and i would recommend the Dulux range - never had a problem with it. Its good quality and great value for money.

Taubmans and British paints are cheaper to buy - however the couple of times i have used them i have found they are no where near as good. It takes multiple coats to get the same effect and ends up costing more for the same result.

Recommend you Dulux undercoat it and then Dulux final coat it - cant go wrong.

If you want it to last definately seal the render. I recommend an Acrylic Sealer Binder. Then apply two top coats once the binder is completely dry.

Sorry can't help directly with your question, but FYI, British Paints is made and owned by Orica who also own Dulux. Paul

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pauljygrant View Post
    Sorry can't help directly with your question, but FYI, British Paints is made and owned by Orica who also own Dulux. Paul
    The brittish paint i used was woeful. It barely covered the gyprock with two coats. It was really thin and weak.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I took it, and bought 10L of Dulux One Step for the sealer/undercoat, and 15L of Dulux Wash n Wear Low Sheen for the two top coats. I took a quote for the paint from epaint.com.au to Bunnings who then beat the epaint price by 10%.

An example, the 10L of Dulux One Step at epaint.com.au costs $116.24, at Bunnings $172.00. Withy the 10% off the epaint price, I paid around $104.00 for the 10L can, a saving of $68 on the Bunnings price just on that one tin alone.

So its worth it to shop around, Bunnings are certainly not always the cheapest even though they would like you to think they are.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by pauljygrant View Post
    FYI, British Paints is made and owned by Orica who also own Dulux. Paul
    The Dulux brand name is owned in Australia, and a small number of other countries, by what is now a separate company, DuluxGroup. It was split off from Orica nearly two years ago.

Besides Dulux and British Paints, they also make Berger, Walpamur, Intergrain, Feast Watson, and Cabot's products. Beyond the surface coating area, they also own brands like Selleys, Poly, Yates and Hortico.

Some time ago somebody on this forum said that old Dulux formulations got passed down for use under the British Paints label, but I don't know if that is true.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
    Bunnings are certainly not always the cheapest even though they would like you to think they are.
    They also love to sell brands that you can't get anywhere else - like British Paints - because they don't ever have to match a price on those.

Default Paint

I was supprised to read Bunnys 10% matched the price of an online store, I have had no luck with them doing this for any product, they have always demanded a printed brochure of they wont 10% beat it or even match it.

We buy all our paints from the Dulux 3D Paint centers, they are heaps cheaper then bunnies even without trade discounts, and stock the brands all the tradies use.

Plus their colour match actually matches the colour unlike bunnies who get "close" to the colour.