Hire the best Painter

Confused Stress with my painter.

Apprentice (new member)

Default Confused Stress with my painter.

Hello guys,

I am new here and I wish I knew this forum before.
    I really need some opinion and help from the expert here.
    The simple story is: I hired painter and don't like his work because of roller mark and brush mark seeing and then I let him tried another wall and still no good. Then I told him just don't worry about coming again and I just pay him 5 days of total 4 and half days that he already spent. But he wants the whole money of $2700. The job only completed about 30%. I offered him $250 per day times 5 so total $1250. I got this rate by calling a few painters in the local paper. Then he not happy and went ballistic. He was throwing his bucket and brush in front of me, swearing to me, threatened me, and then drove off speeding and screeching tyres. Next day he came back and pretended as if nothing happened. Then i told him to collect his stuff and leave. And he still didn't want to leave until I had to call police and took them 1 hour to get him out of my property. It's been a week now and he hasn't call me, but he said back then that he is going to sue me etc etc.
    So I am confused. What is the law here? I think I am pretty fair that I am willing to pay for his work that he's done and still have to fix it. I have pictures of how bad the wall is.
    Please help.
    Thanks

Did you sign a contract or was it a verbal agreement?

I wouldn't worry about it. I think you have been more than fair, just wait it out and give him his $1250 if and when he asks.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan574 View Post
    Did you sign a contract or was it a verbal agreement?

I wouldn't worry about it. I think you have been more than fair, just wait it out and give him his $1250 if and when he asks.
    thanks man.
    just a verbal agreement. i did not even know his real name or his licence no.
    i think $1250 to paint 2 outside wall is pretty fair. and there is one day where he sent his apprentice and he wasn't even there.

Has he bought all the paint? Is this the reason why he may be upset?

I've done a fair bit of painting in my time and in the process of repainting my house at the moment. Never really had a problem with brush or roller marks showing on the final coat. Why is he having this problem? What kind of paint is he using? Are you re-painting over the same colour, or using a different colour?

I think the reason why he may be upset is that there is probably not much he can do about it considering it was a verbal agreement. I am suprised he didn't take the $1250 and run. Suing you will probably cost more than the job is worth.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Has he bought all the paint? Is this the reason why he may be upset?

I've done a fair bit of painting in my time and in the process of repainting my house at the moment. Never really had a problem with brush or roller marks showing on the final coat. Why is he having this problem? What kind of paint is he using? Are you re-painting over the same colour, or using a different colour?

I think the reason why he may be upset is that there is probably not much he can do about it considering it was a verbal agreement. I am suprised he didn't take the $1250 and run. Suing you will probably cost more than the job is worth.
    yeh he bought the paint already, but I told him that I will pay for the paint plus $1250. My plan is to paint the ground floor and he paint first floor. I have nearly completed ground floor. He was complaining that the first floor is of type acrylic render and that why the roller mark and brush mark showing. So I showed him by painting one wall which is the exact same type of rendering and my job does not have any brush or roller mark. The render surface has just been done, so no paint on it. So he needs to light sand it and undercoat and then finish coat.
    Anyway my point is that I am willing to pay for his time that he's done and his paint. So he has nothing to loose really. But he still wants me to pay for everything as if the job is completed. Plus his abusive behaviour that leaves me bad memory in my house u know.
    Anyway i am just couldn;t be bothered to look for painter anyway. I am just gonna paint everything myself. Will be so tiring though.

and its dulux weathershield x10 low sheen and the undercoat is also dulux total prep. I am confused as why I am not painter and can do better job than him. I think his problem is when rolling he cover too much area with one dip. When I do it, normally one dip i just do area say max 1.5 by 1.5 metres. But him rolled it tight so that the roller cover got so dry before he needs to dip again.

Apprentice (new member)

this is one the wall that i mentioned with roller and brush mark. any idea how to fix it? I am thinking to just put another coat..but not sure if it will fix it or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc_0579.jpg   dsc_0577.jpg  

I reckon he's bluffing as well.

As the job was for more than $1,000 he is, by law, supposed to be registered. Tell him you want a receipt with his registartion number and business details on it if/when he reappears for payment.
    If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

he must be iraqy, i think you were there fair for paying him any money at all.

just a question why are you hiring an un-lic painter with out a written quote?

do you have copies of his insurances? just in case his worker had of fallen off a ladder?

next time dont use un-lic and un insurred tradesmen they are taking work off hardworking qualified companies.

Yeah it would be intrested to know where you stand in this

I had a simular problem a few months ago
    http://www.renovateforum.com/showthread.php?t=75065
    he hasnt been back for money
    Then again im told he does it all the time

What state are you in
    If Vic you could contact VCAT and ask

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by nev25 View Post
    Yeah it would be intrested to know where you stand in this

I had a simular problem a few months ago
    http://www.renovateforum.com/showthread.php?t=75065
    he hasnt been back for money
    Then again im told he does it all the time

What state are you in
    If Vic you could contact VCAT and ask
    thanks nev. im in nsw. and same with me. it's been nearly 2 weeks and he hasn't rang me yet. sighh so strange. i thought called a prof and just pay and sit down and work get done. but turn out to be not that simple. now im buggered painting everything myself..

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo451 View Post
    I reckon he's bluffing as well.

As the job was for more than $1,000 he is, by law, supposed to be registered. Tell him you want a receipt with his registartion number and business details on it if/when he reappears for payment.
    this guy want me to pay cash..not even a personal cheque..and he never even gave me his business card...

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post

do you have copies of his insurances? just in case his worker had of fallen off a ladder?

next time dont use un-lic and un insurred tradesmen they are taking work off hardworking qualified companies.
    :0 you right. he is. while he was painting he told me how 8 years ago he came here by boat and got put into woomera for 11 months and has his 2nd kid there and now he has 4 kids. And he always whinged that he doesn't earn enough and his job is crap and he hated his job.
    I got him from me neighbour. basically he hasn't got a single job in 2 months so he started do a walkround. so he went to my neighbour and they told him that i wanna paint my house. so he knocked me door and gave me quote for 16k to paint the whole outside of the house. so i went wtf this think? cos i already got a quote from a painter and he is a dulux accredited and a lot more prof wearing uniform with proper quote and business card, and this guy only quote me 6500 all including paint. and this iraqi want 15K???
    then he knocked me door again 2nd time and told me price like 8k.
    then knocked me door again and begged me and told me that he do any job. so that is the point where i fall into a trap of giving job cos feeling bad for the guy.
    mann i can't belive hiring painter will give me so much headache.

what u reckon of his work on that photo? u think it's acceptable?

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by dee_man View Post
    :0 you right. he is. while he was painting he told me how 8 years ago he came here by boat and got put into woomera for 11 months and has his 2nd kid there and now he has 4 kids. And he always whinged that he doesn't earn enough and his job is crap and he hated his job.
    I got him from me neighbour. basically he hasn't got a single job in 2 months so he started do a walkround. so he went to my neighbour and they told him that i wanna paint my house. so he knocked me door and gave me quote for 16k to paint the whole outside of the house. so i went wtf this think? cos i already got a quote from a painter and he is a dulux accredited and a lot more prof wearing uniform with proper quote and business card, and this guy only quote me 6500 all including paint. and this iraqi want 15K???
    then he knocked me door again 2nd time and told me price like 8k.
    then knocked me door again and begged me and told me that he do any job. so that is the point where i fall into a trap of giving job cos feeling bad for the guy.
    mann i can't belive hiring painter will give me so much headache.

what u reckon of his work on that photo? u think it's acceptable?
    95% of commerical painting contracts are done in sydney by iraq'a some how one of them started being a painter and the rest of them joined in.

i know one bloke who has been very successful in ten years due to his hardwork, he tells everyone he has 25 years exp. but the numbers dont add up he has only been here for 10 years.

he works 20hrs a day so he does 3 days in one.

our strata manger is having an iraq paint the entire factory complex for 9k, my mate quoted 22k (he is iraqy aswell) go figure.

Apprentice (new member)

95% of commerical painting contracts are done in sydney by iraq'a some how one of them started being a painter and the rest of them joined in.

i know one bloke who has been very successful in ten years due to his hardwork, he tells everyone he has 25 years exp. but the numbers dont add up he has only been here for 10 years.

he works 20hrs a day so he does 3 days in one.

our strata manger is having an iraq paint the entire factory complex for 9k, my mate quoted 22k (he is iraqy aswell) go figure.
    Ta man. always know something new. big diff between 9k and 22k. thats what i dun like with trade people..u call a few of them for any kind of jobs and their price range just doesn't make sense..
    and yeh this guy also kepts bluffing telling his story as if he is the greatest painter in the world. he told me that he painted about 50 houses just for pymble suburb. and each he got 29k at least. and he told me sometimes owner so happy with him and gave him 5k tips. hauhauhua...
    anyway..i've done so much painting today..but still wayyyy so much to go.. so tired..

Apprentice (new member)

It looks as though the paint has soaked through at different rates on the wall. Another even coat of paint over the area should fix the problem. I am sorry that you have to do it yourself but you sound as though you know what you are doing. A good product for this application would be Wattyl Solagard Masonry Matt. This product is designed for this type of work.
    As for the painter, I would contact the Dept of Fair Trading in your state and report him.

And he still didn't want to leave until I had to call police and took them 1 hour to get him out of my property.
    Who were the cops, laurel and hardy?

All you had to say was "I now require you to leave the property" and then any refusal is trespass and they can lock him up.......

As for the money, tell him to go his best in court loser! It will be a civil matter and worst case scenario is you pay him on the steps of the courthouse.
    I just love sheepies!

Hello guys,

I am new here and I wish I knew this forum before.
    I really need some opinion and help from the expert here.
    The simple story is: I hired painter and don't like his work because of roller mark and brush mark seeing and then I let him tried another wall and still no good. Then I told him just don't worry about coming again and I just pay him 5 days of total 4 and half days that he already spent. But he wants the whole money of $2700. The job only completed about 30%. I offered him $250 per day times 5 so total $1250. I got this rate by calling a few painters in the local paper. Then he not happy and went ballistic. He was throwing his bucket and brush in front of me, swearing to me, threatened me, and then drove off speeding and screeching tyres. Next day he came back and pretended as if nothing happened. Then i told him to collect his stuff and leave. And he still didn't want to leave until I had to call police and took them 1 hour to get him out of my property. It's been a week now and he hasn't call me, but he said back then that he is going to sue me etc etc.
    So I am confused. What is the law here? I think I am pretty fair that I am willing to pay for his work that he's done and still have to fix it. I have pictures of how bad the wall is.
    Please help.
    Thanks
    Sounds like a mug'
    iT won't sue you for couple of grand it costs too much to pursuit it.
    How did you get him in the first place?
    Reputation is important to a tradesperson, which I reckon he aint!

agree with all you say up until you say "companies", what about a sole trader?

this guy want me to pay cash..not even a personal cheque..and he never even gave me his business card...
    put him into the ATO!

Apprentice (new member)

thanks for the help and opinion guys. ANDDD I've completed painting all the outside of my 2 storey house. So tired though. Especially painting the top one while standing on the roof. But im kinda proud of it. I'll take a pics and post it here soon. My job is a thousand times better that that looser painter. he he.
    And finally about 1 month after the incident, the painter called me and he accept what i offered $1250. Then I paid him but got a proper receipt from him. And he did not say thank you. Anyway what's done is done.
    I think it might be right that the problem is the paint sucking in at different rate. But definitely he's done many problem. First not proper sanding..lazy..second only one undercoat..third..not rolling as close as possible to the window surrounding...and the most important..just have no feeling when rolling....I'll post some pics soon guys.
    Thanks again...

Soldiers Earned Your Right To Free Speech watson's Avatar

Glad it all finally worked out!!