Hire the best Painter

do you need primer on a wooden door?

2K Club Member

Default do you need primer on a wooden door?

we have a builder here replacing some doors in the place I work at, I just noticed tonight that he has not put any primer on the doors, he has just painted them from bare timber with enamel oil based gloss paint, the normal top coat stuff with no primer.
    will this cause any issues?

he has also painted another door that is already painted without sanding it and without any primer also, just put the top coat straight over it.
    will this cause any issues?

had another painter here a year ago doing the same thing, he sanded the already painted doors, primed them then put the top coat on and the bare timber doors he primed and top coated.

any difference? do I need to tell him to piss off?

I'd go with your last suggestion.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I'd go with your last suggestion.
    Before that, get him to return them to their unpainted condition, if you trust him to do that.

2K Club Member

I don't really trust him to do anything. he installed door closers on these doors and they slammed like nothing else you have heard before. I told them that's not good enough, he had a play around and couldn't fix it, told him not good enough fix it or get someone else in to fix it. he had another play and still couldn't.
    next day he came in and said he worked out why, he said he was adjusting the wrong screw.
    he calls himself a builder. I don't know what set of lego he used to get his qualifications from.

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

Default do you need primer on a wooden door?

Lol
    Door closer adjustment is PiA if you don't know what you are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by wozzzzza View Post
    do I need to tell him to piss off?
    He needs a solid kick up the bum, imho. You should report him to whatever authority granted him a licence. (You did verify that he was licenced, right?)

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by strangerep View Post
    He needs a solid kick up the bum, imho. You should report him to whatever authority granted him a licence. (You did verify that he was licenced, right?)
    yeah looked him up on the QBCC website and returned the following, no convictions, no fines, he's done nothing wrong and is licensed.

Licence Class - Licence Grade - Condition* Status
    Builder - Low Rise Builder Licence - NO - Approved QUALIFICATION
    Builder - Medium Rise Site Supervisor - NO - Active
    Carpentry Trade Contractor Licence - NO - Active
    Joinery Trade Contractor Licence - NO - Active

I was a lot happier today when he showed up with a qualified painter who knew what he was doing and continued painting the doors while he did the final fixings. he fixed a couple of his xxx ups like when he washed his oil based brushes in my BRAND NEW BATHROOM SINK and made a mess of the sink, he fixed that up, took him half hour of cleaning.
    did I mention that anywhere? I was absolutely furious on Saturday afternoon when I noticed my NEW sink in my BRAND NEW bathroom that has not even been used yet was full of oily slime and paint. only one person been un that bathroom besides me, that was him.
    oh, and today I caught him with a door kick panel on my BRAND NEW STONE kitchen benchtop that has not even been used yet, he was banging away on it with a hammer and chisel removing stuck pieces of wood on the panel. I told him quick smart get off my damn BRAND NEW benchtop and take it outside and do that before you xxx it up. he straight away walked out quicksmart and said OK.
    never get him back again.
    Last edited by Bedford; 12th May 2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Keep it family friendly Wozzzzza.

Golden Member

Me myself I would be applying a primer and it would be an oil based primer at that.

In defence of the builder I'd be asking to see what is recommended by the paint manufacturer as these days it seems that primers and/or undercoats ain't required.

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    Me myself I would be applying a primer and it would be an oil based primer at that.

In defence of the builder I'd be asking to see what is recommended by the paint manufacturer as these days it seems that primers and/or undercoats ain't required.
    Generally water based paints. But what is the point for not using a primer as it is helping with coverage. You probably end up using the same total number of coats, primer or no primer.

Primers are always recommended on bare timber. The modern acrylics will stick to things like weatherboard and the like without a primer. The primers are much easier to sand and there is typically grain on the first coat. They stick better than the topcoats.

Being licensed means that he knows he is cheating you. He is a hack.

2K Club Member

after the inspector of the company who contracted him to do the door work came inspect the doors they told me he would no longer be doing work for them for a few reasons, first one he cant do it for the price they want, secondly for all the complaint I have had about him here and for him not showing up one day and letting no one know about it.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by wozzzzza View Post
    ..., first one he cant do it for the price they want, ....
    So what does this mean? Is the company paying peanuts so to speak. Thus get what you pay for, but you're the one suffering with substandard work.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    So what does this mean? Is the company paying peanuts so to speak. Thus get what you pay for, but you're the one suffering with substandard work.
    I don't really know, the other doors in the place have been done in 2 other phases, the other company that did them, same price, did an outstanding job on last 2 occasions but they were not available due to other contracts so the company contracted this idiot to do it, he was a lot slower and crappier. this last idiot did crap work but the other person did great work twice as quick. they were given 5 days to complete the job, the normal person who does it can do it in 3.5 days, this other idiot took 6 days.