Hire the best Painter

Heat reflective paint?

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    70

    Default Heat reflective paint?

    Im thinking of painting my roof white to reflect some heat. is this a cost effective form of insulation? ie does it work. is it worth it?

    What about reflective paint products like the powder you put in the paint (thermalite??) anyone had any experienc ewith those?

  2. #2
    Shed Dweller
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    10

    Default

    http://www.insulpaint.com.au/ is one site I've looked at, never bought it.

    Some pretty big claims not sure how effective it would be though.

  3. #3
    A Member of the Holy Trinity echnidna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Timboon VIC AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    2,746

    Default

    light colour paints don't absorb any where near as much heat as dark paints but I don't know how to quantify it.
    Regards
    Bob Thomas

    ==================================
    Ebooks For Sale

    Doll House Book Shelf PLANS

  4. #4
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,190

    Default

    hiya, just recently sprayed my roof white from green - the difference inside the roof space is quite significant, further it was a very noisy roof with banging amd whatever as the sun heated it up, and that is all gone now - so its certainly made a difference.

    Kust made the effort to read a long whirlybird thread on another site, and the considered opinion of the best way to reduce roof space heat, is by sisalation foil under the iron, prfereably with an air gap - so if its not sisalated (mine isnt) then installing either over the top of the rafters or underneath them will do more than the insulated paint.

    I have only ever heard of the insulated paint products been used on warehouses where the requirements are a whole lot different to ceiling spaces.

    cheers

  5. #5
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    3

    Default

    A friend is renovating his parents house which has a flat concrete roof, he just recently painted the roof with a special insulation paint. The difference is amazing, I went over on a very hot day and you could lay your hand on the concrete and it felt cool to the touch.

    The downside was the expense, he mentioned that it was about $300 per litre.

  6. #6
    bfx
    bfx is offline
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sutton Grange
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I just finished painting the roof of my winery. It was colorbond Deep Ocean Blue and I painted it colorbond Shale Grey - which is an off white. The difference in the winery is significant. At least 2-3 degrees cooler.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    hiya, just recently sprayed my roof white from green - the difference inside the roof space is quite significant, further it was a very noisy roof with banging amd whatever as the sun heated it up, and that is all gone now - so its certainly made a difference.

    Kust made the effort to read a long whirlybird thread on another site, and the considered opinion of the best way to reduce roof space heat, is by sisalation foil under the iron, prfereably with an air gap - so if its not sisalated (mine isnt) then installing either over the top of the rafters or underneath them will do more than the insulated paint.

    I have only ever heard of the insulated paint products been used on warehouses where the requirements are a whole lot different to ceiling spaces.

    cheers
    hi pharmaboy, could you expand on sisalation ? ie what is it? or point me to the thread you were talking about.

    thanks for the replies everyone.

  8. #8
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daren View Post
    hi pharmaboy, could you expand on sisalation ? ie what is it? or point me to the thread you were talking about.

    thanks for the replies everyone.
    have a look here

    http://www.envirotalk.com.au/forum/i...p?showforum=52

    both the roof insulation and the whirlybirds thread - particluarly good discussion for queenslanders where heat is the major problem, whereas for us southerners, keeping heat in is our biggest energy user

    sisalation is just the blue and silver paper you see wrapped round houses and on rooves before cladding - it reflects heat

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    have a look here

    http://www.envirotalk.com.au/forum/i...p?showforum=52

    both the roof insulation and the whirlybirds thread - particluarly good discussion for queenslanders where heat is the major problem, whereas for us southerners, keeping heat in is our biggest energy user

    sisalation is just the blue and silver paper you see wrapped round houses and on rooves before cladding - it reflects heat

    wow, very interesting. thanks pharmaboy. I just read both of those threads.

    so basically, to keep warm in winter = use batts

    to keep cool in summer = paint your roof white
    and install a thin layer of shiny silver stuff(RFL/sarking whatever u wanna call it) in the ceiling

    So now, HOW to install the RFL? -

    I'm replacing the ceiling in most of th house, so now Im going to staple some RFL in (somewhere??) I know there has to be an airgap of 25 mm above and below the RFL. I wonder if theres a particular brand or if the cheap stuff is just as effective. I wouldnt mind some more detail with regard to installation. Anyway, I'll have a look in the ceiling myself and continue the search

    thanks again,

  10. #10
    Old Phart Sprog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daren View Post
    I wouldnt mind some more detail with regard to installation. Anyway, I'll have a look in the ceiling myself and continue the search
    Info on Aircel and installation here

    http://www.air-cell.com.au/index.aspx

    Growing old is much better then the alternative!

  11. #11
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia gold coast
    Posts
    7

    Default energy star

    Hi best paint for roofs a product called energy star heat reflextive paint can knock out up to 30degrees c an more.Comes in 44 colours from light cream to charcoal i stock it an use it even products for exterior walls

  12. #12
    Over it!! madrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    104

    Default

    We recently had a problem with a roof leak. Had a couple of quotes as it appears as though there were about 25-40 broken tiles (some of which had been glued back together by previous owner ).



    First quote was $3700 cashy (additional $500 if we wanted a written quote, no receipt, no warranty - needless to say 'no interest' by us).

    Second quote was $6500 . Funny though, the rep turned up with brand new shiny $50k car (with spinner rims), was dripping in gold jewellery (including the teeth).

    We ended up getting a quote from Insulpaint which turned out to be pretty reasonable and cheaper than what we thought ($4800). Was told that a drop of 6-15 degrees was a normal outcome.

    Apparently it blocks the heat from getting into your roof space and in Winter, it blocks the heat from getting from inside to out.

    On top of this, originally we thought we would also be up for the expense of having to get insulation in the roof, but was advised we may not even need to go that far after the insulpaint is applied.

    If it does all they say it does, we will have a winner on saving $$$

    The only downfall, was our roof is charcoal in colour, but the darkest we could go was a medium shade of grey (guess that's logical with nature's effect vs colours etc). But a small compromise for what may be a saving in the long run. Especially if it works!!!

    Time will tell.....we're getting it done in May.

  13. #13
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia gold coast
    Posts
    7

    Default energy star

    see if any one has energy star products

  14. #14
    Ace
    Ace is offline
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Shepparton Victoria
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2

    Default Energy Star Heat Reflective Paints

    Energy Star Heat Reflective Paints can also be purchased in Victoria. I also highly recommend this product. Can be used on most surfaces - tin, tiles, concrete and timber.
    Contact - Astec Paints Victoria - 1300 789 686

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Buy a couple of whirley wind things. They work a treat.

  16. #16
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hillcrest, QLD
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by micktb View Post
    Hi best paint for roofs a product called energy star heat reflextive paint can knock out up to 30degrees c an more.Comes in 44 colours from light cream to charcoal i stock it an use it even products for exterior walls

    What does this stuff cost?
    Do you rent airless sprayers?

Similar Threads

  1. Geothermal heat pump
    By bushmanpat in forum Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th Jan 2008, 10:27 PM
  2. Heat Shifters?
    By lizr in forum Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 22nd May 2007, 04:34 PM
  3. Heat gun on Acrylic Paint
    By bpj1968 in forum Painting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd Oct 2006, 08:04 PM
  4. reflective film for windows?
    By Rod Smith in forum Doors, Windows, Architraves & Skirts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th Nov 2002, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •