Hire the best Painter

Help!!!

Apprentice (new member)

Default Help!!!

im trying to paint over high gloss enamel (not even sure if it is, just guessing) doors and skirts, have been using ESP and a 3 in 1 undercoat, the paint won't stick over the enamel no matter what i do, any ideas???

Sand the gloss enamel until the shine disappears, then use a layer of undercoat then 2 top coats.

Cheers,
    Adam

To paint over a gloss finish you need to degloss it. Sanding is the obvious way.

There are also deglosser products available. You simply apply the deglosser and it removes the gloss finish so that you can paint over it. I.e. it eliminates the need for sanding. I have not used a deglosser personally so I can't say how well it works. However, I will be looking into it soon as I have lots of skirts and tricky architraves to repaint and the thought of sanding it all sends shivers down my spine.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Golden Member

Apprentice (new member)

I work at Bunnings in Canberra and used to recommend ESP for situations like this. However after a lot of negative feedback, both at the paint desk and online here, I've been recommending Zinnser CoverStain to people and haven't had any complaints thus. I would highly recommend deglossing it first however no matter what the packaging says.

My guess hear is you are trying to apply an acrylic undercoat (Water based) ontop of gloss enamel..
    You will never have much luck hear no matter how much you sand and prep..
    The best method is to apply an enamel undercoat (Zinsser as stated above is good) after giving your woodwork a light sand. Also if your woodwork has been polished with anything that has had silicone in it you will also have problems and it will need a wipe over with silicone remover available from Auto suppliers before painting..

Goodluck..

Apprentice (new member)

thanks for the advice everyone, unfortunately all the acrylic paint has started chipping off everywhere so i've given up and am now taking it all off and leaving the glossy enamel!! sometimes it's just not worth the money/effort!

This is a prime example why it pays to ask for advice before you start to tackle a job your not sure about..
    Not when you have run into a brick wall because of bad advice/ lack of knowledge..

Some lessons best learnt are the hard ones..

Goodluck..

When trying to cover up high gloss enamel I would sand the surface, undercoat with an oil base undercoat for example Dulux Quick Dry. Allow to dry for the specified time then lighty sand and apply your top coats being either acrylic or enamel top coats.