Hire the best Painter

How long before i can put scotch blue tape on new paint

Apprentice (new member)

Default How long before i can put scotch blue tape on new paint

I have just put a second coat on my ceiling.

How long before i can mask it so ican paint the walls which are besser bricks.

I am really new to painting so not masking is not an option as i cant cut in properly

If you are talking about masking the underside of the cornice..
    Chances are no matter how long you leave the paint to dry, if you mask that area expect sections of the paint to come off with the tape..
    This topic has been covered many times..

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troymccarthy View Post
    I am really new to painting so not masking is not an option as i cant cut in properly
    Even though I'm not new to painting, I still can't cut in very well...

But I've found that the "Shur-Line Paint Edger" is quite good for this. It's a pad with little retractable wheels.
    As long as you keep the wheels clean when reloading the pad, it's great. Here's a review:

Review: Shur-line Pro Edger | My Renovation Secrets

I got mine at Bunnings some years ago. I've been able to achieve a nice line between wall and ceiling quite easily without masking. Just let the ceiling paint come down a few cm on the wall first, and then apply wall colour with the edger.

G'day,

+1 for the Shur-line edger gizmo, used one in every room of my house. As Strangerep says, take it easy loading it up with paint and you'll be fine.

Novice

Are those pads in general very good, or is it that Shure Line is the best?

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

agree shur-lines pads (and similar) are awesome on plasterboard, not sure how well they will work on bessa blocks, plus it wont fill the mortar gaps. you could get a flat bit of zinc sheet and hold that up in the corner of the cornice and wall and paint hard up to that to stop getting paint on the blocks.

Apprentice (new member)

Here's another vote of confidence for the Shure Line! Perfect for the novice painter and will speed up the process no end

Novice

I started my first-ever painting project today. I was a bit iffy about cutting in so I used the tape as well as the cutting in pad. By the end of the day I wasn't using the tape at all. If you have a few practice goes you will be fine I reckon. I used a different brand of tool but it still worked well, however by all accounts Shure Line have the best products.
    I applied the paint to the tool with a brush, made it a bit easier to avoid overloading.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by cas.crash25 View Post
    I started my first-ever painting project today. I was a bit iffy about cutting in so I used the tape as well as the cutting in pad. By the end of the day I wasn't using the tape at all. If you have a few practice goes you will be fine I reckon. I used a different brand of tool but it still worked well, however by all accounts Shure Line have the best products.
    I applied the paint to the tool with a brush, made it a bit easier to avoid overloading.
    If you like painting with a pad, you'll probably like the "Easipaint" kits these guys sell:

DIY Interior Design, faux painting, decorating. Easi Paint Home Decorating Kit

The trough-and-wheel thing is excellent for loading paint correctly onto a pad.
    I'm surprised ShurLine or other pad manufacturers don't have a similar product (afaik).
    The other bits and pieces in the kit such as paint-saver plastic tops also work well.

Easipaint is a suite of products that needs to be demonstrated to show the benefits,
    hence you don't see it on shelves in ordinary retail outlets. There now seems to be
    some video on the website, however.

I only found out about these guys accidentally when they were demonstrating at a show
    20 yrs ago. I bought the kit as an impulse buy, but don't regret a single cent of the price.

I also like the fact that they've been around so long. One of my pads wore out (after
    many, many years of use), and I was able to purchase new ones online easily.

Novice

Actually I did see these kits at the Home Show this year. Because I was embarking on my first ever paint job, I thought I would go with the conventional method. But now I have physically painted a wall (and not just filled my head with the theory of it) I reckon when it comes time to do the bedroom I will use one of these kits. The pads leave a nice clean finish, I reckon.

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

reviving old thread but I just finished painting 2 rooms with a $3.50 shurline edger and results are perfect. roll paint on to the edger and this will cover about 1-1.5m dist. 10min to cut in whole room. I am good with brush cutting however the edger is 20x faster and cuts perfect.