Hire the best Painter

just how much undercoat is enough!?

Apprentice (new member)

Default just how much undercoat is enough!?

Hi all,
    it feels like an eternity, but i'm up to the paint stage!
    We have a 55sqm open plan kitchen/living/dining area; I sugarsoaped, then skim coated the existing painted walls, and skim coated over the new gyprock walls & ceiling (though maybe not thick enough, but i went by the instinct that if I couldn't feel a bump or textural difference then i probably wouldn't see it after painting).

So now i've applied 2 coats of BP 4in1 undercoat/sealer/stain blocker, to ceiling and walls, and can still see some of the joints & the touched up patches, and some of the darker scuffs. I think most of what i'm seeing is due to differences in texture, and a small minority due to just poor joints.

So my question really is, when do you stop undercoating & trust that the top coats will just hide the rest? When you can't see anything bleeding through that undercoat? When the majority is hidden? When all textures look uniform? I understand that the undercoat that i've used is fairly glossy, and that flat ceiling paint should help hide some imperfections...
    So do I go a 3rd round of undercoat, or touch up the stains that I can still see (with a roller) and go over the walls where the gyprock joins are still pretty obvious? Am I safe to apply some white skim coat like polyfilla to small blemishes, and trust that the 2 top coats will 'fix' the texture, or am I past the point of no return?

I've spent so long getting the plaster as good as I can, I don't want to ruin things now!

THANKS in advance for you help!

I've only ever spot undercoated wall patches, last time I tinted undercoat on new walls and sprayed one undercoat and one top coat with airless.

I'd trust the two top coats personally. You can always do a third if needed.
    Cheers
    pulse

Apprentice (new member)

Hi

If you feel the need to fine tune any imperfections with some skim coat filler thats ok, just give it a light
    sand with 180 paper then apply some more undercoat to that area however you should only apply sparingly.. 2 light coats of undercoat are better than 1 heavy coat when touching up an area...maybe even go over the area with the roller you used to apply the undercoat to reduce any chance of a slight change in texture. .....Then go ahead and apply your top coats.

Maybe if your that worried about any imperfections on the walls you might want to consider dropping the sheen level from low sheen to matt...The lower the sheen the greater the hiding ability....just make sure its a good quality matt paint.

Cheers

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by scotthas View Post
    Hi

If you feel the need to fine tune any imperfections with some skim coat filler thats ok, just give it a light
    sand with 180 paper then apply some more undercoat to that area however you should only apply sparingly.. 2 light coats of undercoat are better than 1 heavy coat when touching up an area...maybe even go over the area with the roller you used to apply the undercoat to reduce any chance of a slight change in texture. .....Then go ahead and apply your top coats.

Maybe if your that worried about any imperfections on the walls you might want to consider dropping the sheen level from low sheen to matt...The lower the sheen the greater the hiding ability....just make sure its a good quality matt paint.

Cheers
    Thanks! Great tips, ill try the 180 + touch up with roller
    cheers,
    m