Hire the best Painter

never buying paint at bunnies again!

Default never buying paint at bunnies again!

This is a bit of rant I suppose but also a heads up to other diy painters. Ive recently spent a lot of time picking the perfect paint colour for our hallway, and every time I think I have it selected, i head off to bunnies for a sample pot. 3 times now and not one of the sample pots has matched the colour I gave them. I get the same reaction every time "it'll change when the paint is dry". so I paint up another sample board and it isnt right. It reminds of that old tv show "are you being served" where if the pants were too short they'd say "they will ride down with wear" and if the pants were too long they'd say "they will ride up with wear"

I've been so frustrated and started to think maybe the swatches arent that exact, but I decided to try a few other places instead. I went to a wattyl paint centre, great service but the wattyl colours are quite limited, but next time I buy solargard I'll get it there. Next I went to a bristol paint centre, again great service and the guy actually put the sample pot in the mixing machine for a few minutes unlike bunnies who stand there in front of you and shake it in their hand to mix it

I got the sample pot home and it matches the swatch exactly! I dont know if all bunnies stores are this bad but the difference in service and quality is just night and day and the paint stores I think may even be a bit cheaper than the big shed, so Im done with them when it comes to buying paint.

If you havent checked them out yet, give the paint stores a go, they all have websites where you can locate your nearest store.
    paint inspirations for dulux paint
    wattyl has decorator centres
    and taubmans who I think have the best colour range you can get at bristol decorator centres.

Im not trying to bash bunnies but seriously, if they can't train their staff properly they shouldnt sell paint.

It all comes down to the individual, some people are good at what they do ,others have the basic training.

I think it comes down to the fact that maybe bunnies has a higher turnover of staff so they dont get to be good at what they do. Bunnings staff are usually very young so they arent experienced at anything, go to one of the paint stores and the staff are much older so have had a chance to gain experience in what they do, so I feel this is more than just down to the individual.

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

maybe the tint machine at bunnings is not calibated right, its adding the wrong ratio of tints,

no offence but hand mixing and machine will make no diff

gaza I thought it might be their machine, but they told me the machine gets calibrated automatically every day so Im beat how the paint keeps getting mistinted. I wasted about $25 on mis-tinted sample pots and the bristol store got it exact first time so I dont know what they're doing differently down there

The really crappy thing is I kept telling bunning the sample pots didnt look right but they make out like you're just being a pain in their @ss lol, so I gave up

Retired Marine Engineer 1K Club Member Ashore's Avatar

The tints they use are diffrent strengths , They only have one set of tints for all the paint brands they sell .
    For the last exact match I wanted ( painting the steel posts to match the stratco roof) I went to wattyl got them to put the correct tints in a cup (they have them for this pourpose) and then went to bunnies and bought the white base solarguard ( $20 cheeper for 4 liters) put the paint stirrer in the drill press adjusted the height in the paint can and 10 minutes later after moving it round a bit the perfect match ...too easy
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    The tints they use are diffrent strengths , They only have one set of tints for all the paint brands they sell .
    wow really? because that would make a whole lot of sense and explain a lot. If bunnings are using the same tints in each brand and the paint stores are using the brand specific tints I can totally see how this would happen!

A lot of it comes down to the staff. A half measure of tint can make a big difference. I have had good matches and poor matches at various stores. What has looked good on a sample has looked poor on the job. If you find a store that you feel do a better job than stick with them. The lowest price is not always the beginning of a good job. Years ago I went to one small store to have a tint made up. They took a long time and it was not a perfect match. Never went back and store is no longer there.
    For the best advice I go to a paint shop where the staff normally have had a lot of practical experience on the job. Yes the materials may cost a bit more - but the advice or the tint is worth it.