Hire the best Painter

Oil Based Paints on New Wood

Apprentice (new member)

Default Oil Based Paints on New Wood

Hi Everyone ...
    Have just started painting wood (treated pine) for new pergola prior to erecting.
    The plan was 1 coat of Watyl Oil based Master Prep Timber Primer then 2 coats oil based Gloss Enamel,
    with a 3rd and final coat prior to tin sheeting going on. All coats being applied by spraygun

It has come to my attention that a undercoat should be used between primer and topcoats.

My questions are .. How crucial is the Undercoat or will the primer suffice.
    If Undercoat is Crucial ,can i ditch the Primer step.

Only the posts have been primed at this stage.
    Something tells me i should have just gone for waterbased 3/1 ect for ease and cost reduction with cleanup ect.

any thoughts , advice or sugestions would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Yup..
    You have answered your own Question on this one..
    It most certainly would have been easier to go with an Acrylic system..

But in saying that you may still be able to get away with just an enamel undercoat before your gloss enamel (Have it tinted to the same colour as your finish coat for better coverage if possible)
    Without knowing what brand and product you are using its best to confirm this with your paint supplier..

Quote Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
    Hi Everyone ...
    Have just started painting wood (treated pine) for new pergola prior to erecting.
    The plan was 1 coat of Watyl Oil based Master Prep Timber Primer then 2 coats oil based Gloss Enamel,
    with a 3rd and final coat prior to tin sheeting going on. All coats being applied by spraygun

It has come to my attention that a undercoat should be used between primer and topcoats.

My questions are .. How crucial is the Undercoat or will the primer suffice.
    If Undercoat is Crucial ,can i ditch the Primer step.

Only the posts have been primed at this stage.
    Something tells me i should have just gone for waterbased 3/1 ect for ease and cost reduction with cleanup ect.

any thoughts , advice or sugestions would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Apprentice (new member)

Strom ,thanks for the response. I'll continue with the primer and follow up with an undercoat as suggested.

Cheers .

Dear Ian,

Yes, I would definitely stick with the oil-based prep-coats, but if you haven't bought the topcoat yet, I reckon you'd be better off with some exterior-grade acrylic (like Solashield, Weathershield, etc...). So, in short, undercoats, etc, in oil-based, but topcoats in acrylic, if it's exterior. And don't be tempted to place too much faith in the claim on the side of the can that the exterior acrylic topcoats don't need prepcoats, because from what I've heard, they don't seem to stick anywhere near as well to the timber in the long term without them.

Best Wishes,
    Batpig.