Hire the best Painter

Oiling Timber Entrance Door Frame

Default Oiling Timber Entrance Door Frame

Hello All,

We are installing a Meranti entrance door frame with side-lights and would like to keep the natural timber finish. The porch in front of the entrance will be merbau decking with dressed merbau or cypress posts supporting the porch roof.

I am after advice on what is the best product for the job and should I use an oil or clearcoat? Would I also be better staining it to darken up the meranti a little to match merbau surrounds? or would the natural finish of the meranti with oil/clearcoat look ok?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Craig

Bump

Do you think this would be more appropriate posted in the woodworkers forum?

I have a merbau front fence with cypress pine posts and I use a clear oil. Even with clear it will enrich the color of the timber and the 2 different tones give an awesome look.
    So personally I wouldn't try to match them up.

The downside of oil is that It need to be re-oiled every 6 - 12 months which works out to be expensive in the long run.

Also It can take a while for it to fully soak in so that you can touch it without getting oil on yourself. Even if you clean off the excess. There will also be an oil smell for awhile.For a front entrance I wouldn't use oil.

The advantages of oil is that it easy to freshen up and easy to apply.

Personally I'd go with the cabbots stain or timbercolor

Get some offcuts and buy a small can and coat the offcuts per intructions. Then you'll have an idea what it will look like.

Also have a look at the cabbots website the have some product downloads available
    (Cabots - brochures - cabots.com.au)

Cheers

Thanks for your reply!

Since my original post I have been doing some further research and agree with what you say about darkening it up to match colour etc. I am now looking at just using a clearcoat with maybe a slight tint. Thanks for the advise regarding oils.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by johnstonfencing View Post
    Bump

Do you think this would be more appropriate posted in the woodworkers forum?
    If this question doesn't relate to "Painting" I don't know what does !!!..

If the door & Frame receives any direct sunlight I would deffinatly oil over paint !!!

Goodluck..

Thanks for your reply!

Since my original post I have been doing some further research and agree with what you say about darkening it up to match colour etc. I am now looking at just using a clearcoat with maybe a slight tint. Thanks for the advise regarding oils.

Cheers
    If it was me I'd do all 3 timbers with the same tint Or at least the doorway timbers.

You might want to look at Low sheen as opposed to high gloss or vica versa ( just some ideas)

The main thing you do here if unsure is to buy a small can first and try it on some scrap timber. Its a LOT harder to undo something you don't like compared to you chose the wrong color for you kitchen paint, and there is just about as many choices

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1500 View Post
    If it was me I'd do all 3 timbers with the same tint Or at least the doorway timbers.

You might want to look at Low sheen as opposed to high gloss or vica versa ( just some ideas)

The main thing you do here if unsure is to buy a small can first and try it on some scrap timber. Its a LOT harder to undo something you don't like compared to you chose the wrong color for you kitchen paint, and there is just about as many choices

cheers
    Thanks again for replies!

We've done just that and experimented with a few tints on some scrap moulding from the frame as even a small tin is not cheap!

Cheers

Thanks again for replies!

We've done just that and experimented with a few tints on some scrap moulding from the frame as even a small tin is not cheap!

Cheers
    Yeah I know, but its still cheaper than using the wrong product

Make sure you do the 3 coats on the scrap..

Cheers