Hire the best Painter

Which paint for bathroom ceiling?

Default Which paint for bathroom ceiling?

I was told 2 coats of primer then 2 coats of acrylic gloss, so you can wipe off any mold etc

thoughts?

(its new sheets of gyprock btw)

Renovator

I used semi gloss acrylic on mine. No problems as yet. Higher gloss level than that might show up imperfections in the finish with the lights on - but if it's nice straight plaster then it might be an option.

You can use either. I prefer semi-gloss but there's nothing wrong with using either. You can buy a mold additive which you can add to the paint to stop or slow down the growth. Other than that just make sure there is proper ventilation in the bathroom and you won't have a problem.

Old Chippy 6K

One coat of sealer/undercoat and three coats of acrylic gloss is what I use in wet areas. Gloss, semi-gloss or low-sheen (not flat) is just personal choice - they all will wipe and clean off easily, but if mold starts then you have a problem anyway.

Mold inhibitors are optional, but best mold prevention is ventilation - do not allow the condensation and humidity to stay high for long. Use exhaust fan and/or open doors and windows after showering or bathing (even in sticky Brissie!).

ok cool

Ive got a window in the room and am installing an exhaust fan .

I think I'll go with the semigloss then. any other opinions on how many coats of primer and paint?

btw i forgot to add in a support frame to install the 4in1 exhaust fan/light to when I sheeted the ceiling. How can i install it now?

Old Chippy 6K

Easy enough - read the instructions. These are designed to go into a hole cut into the plaster between battens and the instruction sheets show how. It varies between brands & sizes - some describe using additional light reinforcement, most have simple clips or screw down clamps that fit over the edge of the cut-out.

I assume you have had your electrician place a suitable outlet in the right place in the ceiling with cabling running down to the wall switches so you can just plug in the light/heater unit. If not you'll have to get him in to do so and it will not be as easy with the room lined. Not always, but sometimes depending what's there already, you'll need a new circuit as those fittings are around 1300-1400W.

thanks oldbloss sounds easy then.

Yeah the electrician has put the cable there ready for it. (which I forgot to pull through when sheeted the ceiling

btw, what is this strange word you speak of - "instructions"

thanks again

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by Daren View Post
    btw, what is this strange word you speak of - "instructions"
    What you try to find after you can't get the damn thing to work or go together . . .

In computer speak this is like 'backup' which is what you do after a disk crash.