Hire the best Painter

Paint colour procrastination

Default Paint colour procrastination

I can't see the wood through the trees, just realised I have bought 27 test pots and still haven't decided on a colour. I have spent more money on test pots than it is going to cost to buy the 12 litres of paint I need to paint the front of the house

dscf8465.jpgdscf8466.jpg

Nice... I was going off at SWMBO the other day because she's trying to pick the scheme for the new kitchen... 3 sample pots later, she then decided that we'd have to re-do the dining room and rumpus room as well because the new ones wouldn't match - 3 more sample pots and we're still no closer. But 27!!!!! Geez I'd have hoped that I'd get a decision by then.... I say BITE THE BULLET!!!

Hah, 27 is nothing, I've got boxes and boxes full of sample pots. I never could find a pink I liked for my daughters room, and it took while before I found a grey that was passable (although now I've used it I think it's a tad blue).

I'd avoid painting the samples so close together as it skews how each colour looks. You are better off painting out larger samples on some 3mm MDF, that way you can see how the paint looks in different lights and in different positions. If you are comparing the main wall paint with trim colour just paint the trim along one or two edges. That way you can see if they compliment each other and undertones match, etc. You can see a good example of that with the two beige browns in the first photo. One looks too yellow and the other looks too red/pink, because each together is bringing out the undertones of the other. Alone they will look a different, the undertone not so obvious.

If you are going to use multiple colours, I wouldn't use more than three otherwise it can look too fiddly and busy.

For what it's worth, I don't mind the first dark grey on top in pic 1 and the first two from the left. The two center browns I can't tell because they are throwing each other off and making them both look yuck. But if you want easymode beige, go with Dulux 'Calf Skin' for a nice yellow undertone, and 'Pale Earth' for a nice pinker undertone.

4K Club Member

When the decision is made you mix all the samples together and use them to paint the toilet.

Golden Member

Default Paint colours

I leave it to SWMBO and the kids, with a minor right of veto - mostly on the grounds of anything too dark is A Bad Idea, too many new coats to hide!

works so far. 27 ...sheeeit .... you could have coated and re-coated for the cost of the fuel!

Thanks guys some great advice.....

I think you are right about painting them too close together, they do tend to interfere with each other. I also find that when I paint them out in the sun on their own in big blocks they look a completely different colour, will have to try the mdf option.

Either way we are not buying any more pots....

The dark grey strip on the top is what we are going to use for all the trims, we just need to pick a wall colour and a white colour for some of the timber so we should only have 3 colours in the end.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post
    The dark grey strip on the top is what we are going to use for all the trims, we just need to pick a wall colour and a white colour for some of the timber so we should only have 3 colours in the end.
    What brand paint and what is the name for the dark grey strip as well as the first grey in the row beneath that strip? That would be my choice to match the trim you have chosen.

Have you tried a Colour visualizer ??..

Like this one -

MyColour Visualiser

(I have no affiliation to Dulux)

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    What brand paint and what is the name for the dark grey strip as well as the first grey in the row beneath that strip? That would be my choice to match the trim you have chosen.
    All the colours in the strip are porters colours but in dulux paint. The dark grey is "White Rhino", pretty much made up our mind we are going to go with that for the trims. The other two greys are "Shell grey" and "dusty mule", the lighter one is nice but it is too dark to put on a large scale so I'm trying to find a similar grey but lighter. Going to pick up a heap of grey colours chips tomorrow from bunnings, no more test pots though

Quote Originally Posted by Strom View Post
    Have you tried a Colour visualizer ??..

Like this one -

MyColour Visualiser

(I have no affiliation to Dulux)
    Thanks had a play with that, it's pretty good but I find the colours on my laptop screen are sooooo different to the real colours.

3K Club Member

Dulux has a pretty good range of colours and I would think it would be best to use the same brand of paint as the colour range as the base would be a perfect match.

Just a thought. I suppose you didn't undercoat the wall before trying the sample colours? That would make a difference wouldn't it, to the actual colour?

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    Dulux has a pretty good range of colours and I would think it would be best to use the same brand of paint as the colour range as the base would be a perfect match.

Just a thought. I suppose you didn't undercoat the wall before trying the sample colours? That would make a difference wouldn't it, to the actual colour?
    Yes your spot on there! The first lot I painted which is the second picture are mostly Dulux. When I painted them on the cream cement render they all changed colour slightly, all the greys went a bit blue. I wanted a grey but not a blue-grey. The other samples are painted on top of an undercoat.

Anyway I have gone back to the original dulux colours and painted them on a white undercoat so they look completely different now. Looks like a decision could be made today.

Lesson learnt