Hire the best Painter

Painting advice needed!

Apprentice (new member)

Default Painting advice needed!

I am in the process of renovating and intend to repaint the internal walls. They were clad in wallpaper which I've just stripped back. The condition of the walls in most of the rooms is OK, however the lounge room walls are in a pretty bad state.
    In the lounge, it appears that some sections of wallpaper had been re-stuck to the wall, with a much stronger adhesive that did not come off with the steamer. The adhesive has a similar appearance to PVA but doesn't come off with heat and water. If you can lift an edge, you can peel off whole chunks of it but it also takes with it the layers of paint that are underneath, leaving the bare fibrous plaster exposed. There are some sections that i haven't been able to remove at all, at risk of gouging into the wall too much.
    It quickly became apparent to me why the previous owners decided to wallpaper!
    So in the lounge, I have 3 surfaces on the walls patches of the glue, the 2 layers of paint that were under the wallpaper, and bare plaster. My question is how do I adequately prepare this surface for painting?? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Golden Member

Default Replaster?

Hi West,
    you have obviously spent some long hours on removing the wallpaper. This may be too late to suggest, but have you considered removing the fiber plaster from that room and resheeting the walls? An advantage is that you could get some electrical work done and install some insulation at the same time.
    Your call.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by gpkennedy View Post
    Hi West,
    you have obviously spent some long hours on removing the wallpaper. This may be too late to suggest, but have you considered removing the fiber plaster from that room and resheeting the walls? An advantage is that you could get some electrical work done and install some insulation at the same time.
    Your call.
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I spent almost 2 weeks removing the wallpaper!!! It didn't help that I only decided to turn to the steamer at the end of the 1st week....

Anyway the house is also due for rewiring, so I have considered removing the old plaster and resheeting. It seems pretty drastic though, and I wanted to know if there were any other alternatives before going down this path. Do you have any ideas on how much this might cost? Is it something you can do yourself without too much trouble or is it just easier to get a pro in to do the job properly?

Golden Member

Default Too Late

Hi West
    the cost varies, you really need to get a quote. There are so many vaiables, cornice, removal and disposal of existing fibrous plaster, skirting removal etc etc. and it may be too late as you have invested much effort in removing the wallpaper over the past two weeks. A few pics would help.
    Cheers

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks, I will take some pics tomorrow and post them up.

The "Fibrous cement you speak of wouldn't happen to be Asbestos ??.. (caveat emptor)

It would be possible to remove the glue with a wallpapper scrapper and then skimcoat the whole wall
    That way it wouldn't really matter on the damage to the "Fibrous cement"
    This would obviously be your cheapest option...

Goodluck...

Apprentice (new member)

Strom - i am reasonably sure that it's fibrous plaster and not asbestos - although there is asbestos elsewhere in the house, it is present in raw (grey) sheet form or painted and in the rear lean-to section of the house. The plaster is white with brown fibres through it and is in the main part of the house (brick veneer, c.1950s).

I did consider skim coating, I'm glad to have confirmation that this could be an option! Is this a relatively easy task for a DIYer with zero experience or should it be left to a professional?

Anyway here is a pic of the splotchy wall:

The beige is the main paint colour that was directly under the wallpaper; the slightly darker brown-ish areas are the glue patches; yellow is the undercoat under the beige paint; and white is obviously the bare plaster. I went to a paint shop yesterday where the guy suggested trying acetone to remove the glue - I tried this and it seemed to work, although it was painstaking and time-consuming.

After removing the glue, I filled over the plaster areas with spakfiller and sanded back - do you think this would be sufficient prep prior to applying sealer/primer, for the hairlines to then not show through after painting?

There are other areas where the beige paint is peeling in patches and there appears to be some random areas of white enamel-type paint:

In this case, blue is the undercoat colour. Should i remove all the paint up to this blue undercoat before repainting?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p2250014.jpg   p2250008.jpg  

Golden Member

Default Fibrous plaster for sure.

Hi Westy
    the pics indicate fibrous sheet plaster. Not lathe and plaster (you can see that because the plaster has some vertical joints in it). Not asbestos cement.
    Bearing in mind that you have invested much time and energy into the project, the suggestion of skim coating is possible to do by a DIY.
    Do you have an area to experiment on? Perhaps the inside of a cupboard or wardrobe. Give it a try.
    The problem with this type of plaster is that it tends to bow and sag over time. It cracks and grazes. Tends to pull off the wall here and there. It is very heavy.

In the darkened room shine a torch light across the wall. Hold the light close to the wall and shine it across the wall, then up and down. This will give you some idea of the existing imperfections. You can then proceed from there.
    Hope that this helps.

Apprentice (new member)

hi gpkennedy,

i'm a tad worried when you say that the weight of the skim coat could sag the plaster over time - the worst areas that would be likely candidates for a skim coat are the areas under a large window, where the plaster is already cracking and weakened. I think I'll try to sand and fill as best I can, and try my luck from there.

In relation to my other question - do you think I need to strip the paint layers back to the undercoat in the areas where it's peeling (as per 2nd pic)? Or would a good sand be sufficient?