Hire the best Painter

Painting aluminium window frames - 'experts' disagree

Default Painting aluminium window frames - 'experts' disagree

So I've spent a couple of nights researching how to paint aluminium window frames.

Anodised frames apparently are dyed aluminium with an aluminium oxide coating. Dulux in Canada say anodised frames can't be painted, which is the opposite of what everyone else has said.

Recommendations for cleaning frames range from Penetrol, soap and water, metho, turpentine, All-Brite, and soap free boat cleaner.

Some say to sand every part of the frame first, but majority recommend self-etching primer as the next step. However, quite a few say the anodised frames should be sanded first.

Some recommend spray painting others say painting with metal paints achieves a great finish and is better for the DIY painter.

Some say 2 pack with a final coat of sealer.

Everyone has their 'best' paint to use, with one bloke just using Solagard and says it has lasted for several years on his windows. This is not something to be recommended though, particularly on the tracks.

Opinions mixed about getting paint on the putty around the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapienreno View Post
    So I've spent a couple of nights researching how to paint aluminium window frames.

Anodised frames apparently are dyed aluminium with an aluminium oxide coating. Dulux in Canada say anodised frames can't be painted, which is the opposite of what everyone else has said.

Recommendations for cleaning frames range from Penetrol, soap and water, metho, turpentine, All-Brite, and soap free boat cleaner.

Some say to sand every part of the frame first, but majority recommend self-etching primer as the next step. However, quite a few say the anodised frames should be sanded first.

Some recommend spray painting others say painting with metal paints achieves a great finish and is better for the DIY painter.

Some say 2 pack with a final coat of sealer.

Everyone has their 'best' paint to use, with one bloke just using Solagard and says it has lasted for several years on his windows. This is not something to be recommended though, particularly on the tracks.

Opinions mixed about getting paint on the putty around the window.
    Nothing done by hand will be as tough as the original finish,but a good job can be done using the following...
    Wash down with a fine plastic scourer,when dry apply 1 coat Etch Primer then 2 coats Epoxy Enamel in your choice of colour....These products are readily available as Wattyl Killrust,White Knight Rustguard,Galmet and others.
    Regards,
    Blocker.

Thanks Blocker. That sounds great to me. I'll give it a go.

3K Club Member

I love epoxy paints and products, been using them for many years, particularly on boat refurbishes and new fit out's. Sticks to everything provided there is no trace of silicon on the surface or any of the tools used.
    I would, however, avoid a white coating as it can turn a little yellow if exposed to direct sunlight.

Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Jumping on this older thread instead of creating a new one. Thinking of doing the same as Sapienreno, best to use a spray paint? Something like this?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-me...paint_p1400829

And use an etch primer beforehand? Do i need to do anything to the existing window except for cleaning it? (like sanding etc)

Golden Member

with aluminium, ( all knids) the most important aspect is the strength and hardness of the final coats.
    so the best strength, not neccesarily adhesion is what youre after. Aluminium is difficult to prepare, and so is powdercoated aluminium, and so is anodized.
    Personally, I dont recommend etch primers because of the effect the acids have on the top coats, and dulux group protective coatings, dont even endorse it, but they sell it in case someone knows what they're doing and wants to etch it.

http://www.duluxprotectivecoatings.c...%20Primers.pdf
    quote from document.
    "Etch Primers are not for use over previously painted surfaces, as the phosphoric acid present in the etch primerinterferes with subsequent coatings, causing delamination."

So effectively, if your frames are powdercoated, your best approach is to manually scour them with scotchbrite pads, then 2 very light guide coats with a light grey primer (is designed to stick and fill), followed by 2 coats of the best epoxy enamel, and for that i would actually recommend wattyl killrust instead of dulux.

Quote Originally Posted by rebuildr86 View Post
    and for that i would actually recommend wattyl killrust instead of dulux.
    Why so? A very long time ago I used Killrust and was very unhappy with it's durability. I more recently used the Dulux the OP linked to and so far happy with the result. However I doubt there is any readily available paint that will last as well as an original powdercoat, and will dull in short time.

Golden Member

sorry metalshield, completely forgot about it. haha. brain fart. i was thinking of the silly new retail product, Duramax. Yes the epoxy enamel by dulux is also just as good.
    Interesting that you say better reults were achieved from dulux. Dulux came in with teh spraypacks of epoxy enamel after wattyl had killrust on the market for years and years, but i guess wattyl maybe just didnt continue investing in improving it.

The killrust I used was over 20 years ago and wasn't a spray. I doubt it was epoxy, so take it the more recent stuff is!

Golden Member

yeh killrust is a single pack epoxy enamel, which means it requires baking or somethign to realy amke the epoximide to really work itself to set, but wattyls one sems to cure much better than dulux's.

In fact, the consumer reviews for it (dulux one) are pretty damning haha.

https://www.productreview.com.au/p/d...eld-epoxy.html

Because its an epoxy, the cobalt stuff that goes in normally to assist in decreaseing the flash time, cannot be added.