Hire the best Painter

painting MDF stairs

Novice

Default painting MDF stairs

Hi all

I have a staircase that goes from garage up to my entry that has MDF treads and risers.

I've never bothered to do anything with it in regards to covering it. I am selling my house soon and its looking stained and in the need of a lift. I can cover it in carpet for $1000 but its going from garage to the entry which are timber floors so it may look odd. I am not going to cover it in timber or laminate as it has a bullnose on it so I know the cost would be high and quiet a big job.

Has anyone painted and MDF staircase with any success or have any ideas what to use that may look somewhat appealing.

Cheers
    Jason

Carpet, vinyl or rubber it. Use a low profile commercial grade product. Paint will look miserable after only the first inspection.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

This might sound silly but stick (contact adhesive or vinyl floor adhesive) some of the better quality pond liner to the tread. Use quad at the back and varnish the riser. Put some tread nosing at the front. If the nosing is rounded you could cut it off and put some 40x19 there instead with an outdoor PVA glue.
    This mentions a bullnose profile as well.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-o...-tape_p1090849

I have some pond liner (best quality stuff) over sandstone and it is unbreakable.

Quote Originally Posted by bentbanana View Post
    Hi all

I have a staircase that goes from garage up to my entry that has MDF treads and risers.

I've never bothered to do anything with it in regards to covering it. I am selling my house soon and its looking stained and in the need of a lift. I can cover it in carpet for $1000 but its going from garage to the entry which are timber floors so it may look odd. I am not going to cover it in timber or laminate as it has a bullnose on it so I know the cost would be high and quiet a big job.

Has anyone painted and MDF staircase with any success or have any ideas what to use that may look somewhat appealing.

Cheers
    Jason
    Jason,
    Sand off visible dirt and stains,then apply 2 coats of a floor grade satin polyurethane.
    Regards,
    Blocker.