Hire the best Painter

Painting pre-finished IKEA kitchen doors

Apprentice (new member)

Default Painting pre-finished IKEA kitchen doors

Hi folks,

Purchased an IKEA Ekestad kitchen a while ago with the intention of painting the doors. Unfortunately the Ekestad style is no longer made, but you can view it here: https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/p/ekestad-door-oak-00288214/

As far as I know, the doors have an acrylic lacquer over the top. I figured that standing with ~240 grit, followed by 2-3 coats of primer would make sure there's a solid base to paint the new (water-based) colour, but I wanted to see if there's anything else I might be missing? The plan was to use a regular water based wall primer from Bunnings, as well as some Floetrol in each coat to keep the surface smooth.

Does anyone anticipate any problems, or have any tips/tricks to get a better result?

2K Club Member

You might also be able to use Flood Penetrol. This ls a product that is brushed on first and makes paint stick to shiny surfaces. Not sure how it compares to sanding though.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitrifdo View Post
    Hi folks,

Purchased an IKEA Ekestad kitchen a while ago with the intention of painting the doors. Unfortunately the Ekestad style is no longer made, but you can view it here: https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/p/ekestad-door-oak-00288214/

As far as I know, the doors have an acrylic lacquer over the top. I figured that standing with ~240 grit, followed by 2-3 coats of primer would make sure there's a solid base to paint the new (water-based) colour, but I wanted to see if there's anything else I might be missing? The plan was to use a regular water based wall primer from Bunnings, as well as some Floetrol in each coat to keep the surface smooth.

Does anyone anticipate any problems, or have any tips/tricks to get a better result?
    I would be reluctant to sand ,I would suggest Flood ESP which is a reliable wipe on clear primer,before painting.
    If you are using white or similar colour,water based would be ok,but if you are using a dark colour,turps based enamel will give a far better finish.
    Cheers,
    Blocker.