Hire the best Painter

Painting stair treads

Default Painting stair treads

Our front steps need re-painting. In the past (our previous house) I used a Solver product that was specifically for stair treads and had some sort of grit in it. It was great, but the colour range was limited and I already have the paint for the new steps.

Can add something to the paint to make it non-slip? For example, some sand? If so, roughly how much per litre of paint? I'm using a low-sheen Dulux paint.

I'm curious too. I would think so or even sprinkling some sand over the freshly painted surface might work.
    No doubt our resident expert (Bloss) will be along shorty with some insight
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; 18th Feb 2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Speling and grammer errors :)

Old Chippy 6K

'Resident expert' But maybe that's a back-handed compliment - my Mum used to say "an 'expert' is someone who knows more and more about less and less until they eventually know absolutely everything about nothing!". That's why I am careful to say I know lots of stuff about lots of stuff, but not very much about anything!

But as to the steps - you can uses course sand and regular enamel or even acrylic external paints with good primer a single coat, sprinkle of sand on wet enamel, then two coats, and they will last surprisingly well. But there are better specialty products - generally paving paints that have anti-slip additives that are basically carborundum, garnet or other hard mineral sands that provide grip. See as an example: http://www.haymespaint.com.au/haymes/main.php?c=85

A Google search will throw some up and I would be surprised if even the Bunnies paint section can't point to some options. You can also finish in a good quality paint and then get tread strips that are self-adhesive or can be glued on as well as the heavy duty aluminium tread facings that are used to stop slipping. The most dangerous part is the front of the tread (nose) and sometimes treads are machined to give grooved and/or roughened finish. The sorts of things used are: http://www.floorsafe.com.au/antislip_stair_nosings.htm and http://staircare.com.au/products/com..._slip_tape.htm.

So plenty to choose from . . .

Golden Member

Default Tread nonskid

All of what he said. I've also used sugar, coffee sugar (big grains) sprinkled over the wet paint immediately after application. The sugar will leach out pretty quickly when it rains, leaving appropriately pock-marked finish that is coarser than the finish sand leaves - and easier to brush on.

The main trick is to get a paint substrate that adheres well and resists wear.

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by Compleat Amateu View Post
    All of what he said. I've also used sugar, coffee sugar (big grains) sprinkled over the wet paint immediately after application. The sugar will leach out pretty quickly when it rains, leaving appropriately pock-marked finish that is coarser than the finish sand leaves - and easier to brush on.

The main trick is to get a paint substrate that adheres well and resists wear.
    Gee haven't heard that one for years - my master painter uncle Alf showed me that more than 40 years ago using rock salt, but same principle! I think the newer technology might be best.

1K Club Member

If you already have the paint then you can buy the grit additive seperately. Bunnies sell it.

Tools