Hire the best Painter

"Permacoat" roof painter in Perth - good operator & price?

Default "Permacoat" roof painter in Perth - good operator & price?

I am looking to get our roof resprayed as we have slightly mismatched second hand tiles after a renovation. Pretty close, but the 20 yr old roof could do with a touch up in any case.

Based on the roof area 332 sqm the price from Permacoat was $13.11 per sqm.
    This excluded ridgecap rebedding and pointing as the roof tilers did this already.

332 sqm includes my calc for the 19 degree pitch as per high school maths (Pythagoras's theorem) which added 5.2% to the sqm area, yet three roof painters stated 30% extra for the pitch, which I find strange, but appears to be the norm. ?? So they have a figure of about 400 sqm!?
    It was explained that the front edges of the tiles and the sides take up this extra 30%...Fair enough maybe, but then I should see that many more empty buckets at the end of the day based on the sqm per litre or is it not that straight forward?

One odd thing was that Permacoat won't reveal what brand of solvent sealer and paint they use, the quote just mentions that the sealer is a "long oil" solvent one and the top coats are a latex acrylic membrane resin as in accordance with the Australian standards (2311). They stated categorically that water based sealers are never used by them, to ensure longevity of the coating. Maybe they have a Coca-Cola like secret recipe?

A couple other roof coating operators happily told me they used Dulux or Solver.

I am leaning towards proceeding with Permacoat...but I thought that I'd check for any war stories...What are peoples opinions of Permacoat?
    Any good recommendations for roof coating companies in PERTH?
    I would love to hear of any roof painters opinions about my queries above.

Golden Member

Type in roof restoration in the search feature and you will find plenty of members experiences and recommendations.
    Some good reading.

Yes, but no mention of Permacoat anywhere...

Once thing that Permacoat seem to be different on is that they state that they always use a "long oil" solvent sealer as opposed to a water based one, which is recommended in the Standards Australia / New Zealand "Guide to Painting Buildings" AS/NZS 2311. This requires 48hrs drying time.

Yet a roof painting contractor who is my dad's neighbor, said that he uses the Nutech paint and never uses a solvent sealer except over previously painted surfaces, so mostly uses the water based sealer.

What do others think about solvent based sealers? Are they worth using on original factory painted concrete tiles like Permacoat state they do in all cases?
    Last edited by celestem; 15th Apr 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: additional detail for Aust Standards

Apprentice (new member)

Default Over thinking

At $13.00 per meter it think you have a good price, permacoat have a great reputation, and I do not hesitate in recommending them.

Quote Originally Posted by celestem View Post
    Once thing that Permacoat seem to be different on is that they state that they always use a "long oil" solvent sealer as opposed to a water based one, which is recommended in the Standards Australia / New Zealand "Guide to Painting Buildings" AS/NZS 2311. This requires 48hrs drying time.

Yet a roof painting contractor who is my dad's neighbor, said that he uses the Nutech paint and never uses a solvent sealer except over previously painted surfaces, so mostly uses the water based sealer.

What do others think about solvent based sealers? Are they worth using on original factory painted concrete tiles like Permacoat state they do in all cases?

Is that from your experience of them?

Apprentice (new member)

if you guys have used permacoat what is your opinions how did it go ??

We still havn't got our roof done, but from several discussions and comparing a few quotes, Permacoat are around middle priced. Plus they use two separate teams, one for roof repair and clean, then the other team for painting.
    They always apply the primer/sealer and then wait 2 days before 2 top coats, whereas some operators will just clean one day then spray just two top coats the next day.

Apprentice (new member)

We are also thinking of using Permacoat. But would be interested to hear if any of you guys have gone ahead with them, and if so, how did they go?