Hire the best Painter

Plasterboard "yellow" showing through ceiling white..

Apprentice (new member)

Default Plasterboard "yellow" showing through ceiling white..

Good evening, perhaps somebody has a view on this problem, I'd appreciate thoughts.

I have a newly renovated house, entirely new plasterboard throughout. The living room downstairs has had Soundchek plasterboard installed and the rest is "regular" plasterboard. I noticed some of the sheets were a yellow/beige colour, generally, but not exclusively the Soundchek sheets.

The painter has the problem that the yellow is showing through the ceiling white. The ceiling was spayed initially with a sealing undercoat and then with a Haymes flat ceiling white. As each coat dried off, the yellow of the underlying plasterboard shows through.

The painter claims this is due to the sheets being "damaged" through exposure to UV light, i.e. stored either incorrectly or for a long period. He says that it doesn't matter how many coats he applies the problem will remain and the only solution will be to roll on an oil based paint, either an undercoat and then respray ceiling white or roll on a flat enamel ceiling paint. In either case this is a bad outcome for what should be a perfect ceiling.

The builder (who has yet to ask the plasterer) says this is a load of rubbish.

Appreciate thoughts from those who may have had similar experiences and also anyone with plastering or painting knowledge.

Thanks everyone. A quick comment, it seems the right trime to say thanks to all those who do contribute, the insights I've read over the past months ahve been helpful and informative.

PAUL

Sounds like @@@@@@@@, make the painter put another coat on. I would say the paint is very thin and doesn't cover.

Experienced

Hi, I actually had the same problem recently with my ceilings. I have recoated my ceiling with Dulux ceiling white 4 times and the yellow still comes through. My sheets are definately not new and I didn't use a primer as the ceiling was already white but a bit yellowish from age. The paint was very watery and thin though and the more coats I put on the less yellow came through. I reckon if I used 'Dulux Once' for my ceilings which is more expensive per litre, I would of only used 2 coats.

I would be open to some answers myself!

Clay.

Golden Member

Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 sealer is a very good sealing product IMHO. If there are issues with moisture stain it works well. Available in spray can or ordinary tin (roller)from big green hardware store. Let it dry for a week if you can afford the time.
    George

Apprentice (new member)

Hi, I would call the manufacturer of the sheets and ask them what the problem may be. If a proper sealer was used, it should be OK. Ask the painter to show you the sealer. Also, this may sound strange, but could the yellow be a reflection from another surface?

Apprentice (new member)

Morning All, thanks for your various perspectives. vvandgm, good call, not a refelction from other surfaces although a good calll, very distinct yellow associated with underlying platerboard.

The undercoat used, which was fairly generic, may not have been a very good sealer, probably contributes to the problem. in the affected areas, we have just one coat of ceiling white over the undercoat. I do realise this is not yet to Australian standard paint coverage. The painter was reluctant to just apply an additional coat as he believes (firmly) that the problem will remain.

I did research plasterboard at some length. It seems one needs to use it while it's fresh and get it painted promptly. I mean it's obvious that humidity or whatever can affect the unsealed surface. In this case the sheets were delivered and hung within 48 hours and the paintingwas about 3 weeks later. Lafarge specifically note on theitr website that plasterboard will discolour if stored too long and this will be excacerbated by UV exposure. They also note that the painter should use an appropriate stain blocking sealer in this case. I beleieve the sheets probably were discoloured and had been stored for too long or inappropriately with the supplier and I feel the plasterer, as the quality control on the plaster work should have recognised this.

I examined the paintwork and I feel that the application may have been too thin. Difficult to tell, but certainly a fair amount of water was used with the spray system and coverage around some edges is a bit patchy, even after two coats (undercoat and ceiling white)

Long and the short I think both areas are responsible for the outcome.

The painter feels the only guaranteed solution is to roll on a flat enamel, clearly with some time and material cost. Folk jhave commented that a sprayed finish is difficult to maintain, or patch if required, but I do like the sprayed finish. Let me say in other areas, the result is excellent.

Thanks gpkennedy for the sealer tip. Seems the common opinion is to use a really good, stain blocking/high opacity sealer. Zinsser comes up often as does Dulux Preplock, available in meth, shellac and acrylic, important becaause he can spray apply the acrylic.

Soooo... I spoke with the painter, and proposed he resprays with Dulux Preplock and refinishes with an other coat of the ceiling white. From a cost standppoint, the Preplock is a bit expensive and of course his time, but I think this should do the trick. Painter sayss...mmm should work fine, can only guarantee enamel. (face saving I feel)

Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers, PAUL

Novice

I wouldn't let the painter talk you into a flat enamel. Will look good for a white but then is likely to yellow with time. Also will be harder to re-coat in the future.

The yellow colour could be bleeding through the paint in which case you would need a stain blocking sealer such as BIN. I think it is more likely however that one coat of cheap sealer and one coat of ceiling white thinned down to spray simply haven't been sufficient to cover the yellow.

I would say that one coat of a good undercoat, then two coats of ceiling white or one coat of once ceiling white would have been fine. I think that the dulux '1 step' undercoat is excellent for a water based prepcoat. Very high hiding. You can get it from dulux or bunnings. It is more expensive than some undercoats but probably cheaper than the preplock.

1K Club Member

Sorry Spock... Have come back to the forum after being away so I might be a bit late with a suggestion, but George has hit the nail on the head. I had a similar problem with very old plasterboard that had never been painted such that the paper was yellow, and the setting was a pale cream colour. Both bled through about four coats of ordinary ceiling white. Then I did what George has suggested. One coat of Zinsser fixed the problem. We are a bit remote and the local Mitre 10 doesn't carry Zinsser... nevertheless I found that both Dulux and Wattyl make a similar product. I would recommend Zinsser (look on their web site for the right product) to cover or seal anything. It is a bit more expensive than ordinary paint but a lot cheaper than two or three unnecesary coats of ceiling white!

Good luck!

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Chalky and Axel. We will see what this week brings. The ceiling will be sprayed with a stain sealer, either the Dulux Preplock or Zinsser and then re-sprayed with the ceiling white. I'll let you know the outcome, may help someone else down the road.

Cheers,

PAUL

Your painter is clearly out of his depth hear..
    It is obvious he has watered down his cheap as chips sealer to much to begin with (I doubt it would have made that great of a difference in this scenario anyway)..
    And then only applied one coat of (Let Me guess hear) the cheapest Ceiling white he could get his hands on, and was anticipating this would cover obviously not..
    Standard industry practice is one coat primer & two coats of ceiling white (These should be premium paints) check the can directions for confirmation of this.
    Tell your painter to apply another coat of ceiling white at his expense.
    (But I honestly doubt this will fix your problems)..
    Goodluck..