Hire the best Painter

Poor Washability of Dulux AcraTex 955 AcraShield

Golden Member

Default Poor Washability of Dulux AcraTex 955 AcraShield

Hi
    My house has concrete render. It has then had, AcraPrime 501 rolled on, then professionally trowled DULUX AcraTex 951 Coventry Coarse, described as a fine-medium grain. See below link for a image of the grain

http://www.dulux.com.au/applicator/p...l?product=2424

I then rolled the 955 AcraShield topcoat over it completing the system for approx. 1100 DFT.

http://www.duspec.com.au/duspec/file/AUDA0432.pdf

At the time of application all garden beds were removed and application was down to the foundation.

Colour is Dulux Grey Pebble a very light grey. Sheen is matt, there is no low sheen like interiors or weather shield, the option next up is low gloss, though Dulex Tech support says the low gloss doesn’t help much in washability over matt.. The Dulux Trade centre informed me most houses are done in Matt whilst commercial are Low Gloss or Gloss, partly for washability.

I was just going to use Weathershield over the existing concrete render but read about the Accratex system and spent the extra money.I realise now I should have superior cracking resistance compared with just painting on Weathershield. Also Anti Carbonation resistance, though my double brick house is not worried about CO2 infusion that will cause embedded rebar to corrode and expand.

What has disappointed us is the washability ie. lack of it. When gardening if some dirt gets on the wall or mud via the kids or mud just splashes up, even after just 5minutes in shade it’s very hard to remove totally. My main method is the hose with a standard tip set to ‘Jet’ and then I use different angles to try to blast it off. We then tried a soft bristle brush like you wash a car with, but no good, it took a hard bristle scrubbing brush to get it all off.

The accrashield link says this

“It significantly improves wash-ability, reduces dirt accumulation, pollution and chemical attack especially on high profile textured coatings”
    Basically I have found washability to be poor to very poor. Dulux tech support told me the above quote simply means that washability of a accrashield top coated system is better than one that just went as far as the texture coat. He said it should not be read as indicating exterior accratex systems are in anyway washable like a interior smooth wall. That these systems are more so for resisting carbonization of the concrete render, bridging cracks etc, washability is therefore not a priority in what the system meant to achieve.

Dulux Tech Support mentioned that in the case of mud, thanks to the water it draws in the dirt into the layers. However the applicator said the texture coats waterproof the wall and the link above the for AccraShield says

“100% acrylic elastomeric membrane weatherproofing coating with excellent water impermeability, carbonation resistance, chloride ion resistance, and resistance to mould and mildew.”
    I realize I may simply have had the wrong expectations about this system, what experiences and knowledge do others have about this system? and what tips do you have in regards to maximizing washability in exterior paints, for a residential environment.

Apprentice (new member) Impression's Avatar

The Acra sheild is far superior to weathersheild. It sounds like your issue is caused more by a rough surface underneath.

7K Club Member

We used Acratex, but my tradie said the shield topcoat was totally my choice as in his experience it doesn't help much. I didn't use it.

Golden Member

Acrashield 955 is required to protect the acrylic texture coating as the texture of the coating builds of dirt if the jagged edges of the acrylic grains are left open. The Acrashield smooths off the very very small openings which grow mould and moss. It is also more flexible than 100% ACRYLIC EXTERIOR PAINTS and will bridge gaps that WILL occur when the cementitious render underneath it cures
    No textured wall can be washed with a sponge. However, for exterior textured application, if you want texture, Acrashield is the most sensible topcoat.

Applicators always say acrashiled is a waste of money, so that you are happier to pay them for texturing the wall. They are plasterers at heart, that's how they learnt the trade from plastering. They dont want to paint it afterwards, they want you to say yes please and pay them.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by rebuildr86 View Post
    ...No textured wall can be washed with a sponge. ...
    That'd be why I use a soft bristle brush. Job done