Hire the best Painter

Preparation and product for rendered brick retaining wall

Novice

Default Preparation and product for rendered brick retaining wall

Hi all. I have a double brick bagged retaining wall that was built and painted in 2008. The acrylic paint (recommend by a professional paint shop) was applied with no primer as per the instructions ( a mistake I think now) is peeling off in large pieces in a number of areas. But not everywhere. I'm looking to scrape off anything remotely loose and repaint. The wall was waterproofed at the time on the inside with a bitumen waterproofer.

In a few, but not many, spots some of the brick mortar has come out with the paint piece so I will need to fill those gaps.

Any suggestions on preparation and product to repair/ repaint the wall are very welcome

Thanks,

Greeny

If you post pictures, we can all have a better look. But from what you describe, I am afraid your wall may have been built with poor drainage, you get too much water in the high side, the ag pipe is blocked, insufficient gravel behind the wall, no plastic film was used, or all of the above.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

Novice

Hey Marc. Thanks for responding. There was a lot of gravel and waterproofing done at the time of building but yes there are a couple of places where the issue is below ground level of the garden behind. However the majority of the problem is where the wall is actually above ground on both sides, including on top. The paint is peeling off and you can peel off large pieces with your fingers. I have attached some photos. The paint used was Solver Duraguard low sheen acrylic. As mentioned in first post there was no primer used on advice of the professional paint shop where paint was purchased. It is also 12 years since it was painted so perhaps it just it the age and sun also.
    img_8123.jpgimg_8122.jpgimg_8124.jpgimg_8128.jpg

As there are also large areas that the render is separating I suspect that it is the render at fault and would not be blaming the paint for the issue.
    I do not believe any primer or undercoat would have made any significant difference.

It will just be a matter of removing any loose material, paint and render. Then re-render and paint.
    I would look at one of the acrylic renders but would look carefully at the manufacturers recommendations for suitable use.

Novice

Thanks Droog. After some scraping this morning most of the render is coming off. It was a cement render applied as a bagged finish by the bricklayer who built the wall. Will scrape it all back and look for a suitable acrylic render as you suggest. One more question - in 5 or 6 places about 30-40mm of mortar has come out of the brick join. I assume I should repair that with some cement mortar first - not try to fill that depth with the acrylic render?

Filling the holes first would be the best approach, particularly with holes that depth.

I see now. Not something I would call a retaining wall
    Render or paint, your problem is most likely the pool water.
    12 years? You have done very well.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

3K Club Member

Render is usually a sand cement mix with or without chemical additives
    Bagging is usually a poor thin rough mortar/brickies loam mix with very little cement and can often have dishwashing liquid added instead of chemical additives

If you are intending rendering I would suggest going over the whole area with a cup grinder first.
    You may also find it informative to investigate this https://www.bing.com/search?q=rockco...BLH&sp=3&ghc=1