Hire the best Painter

Preparing solid plaster for painting

Apprentice (new member)

Default Preparing solid plaster for painting

Hey there,

I am writing this on behalf of my family. We all know nothing about building/renovating/painting and have recently found ourselves in a situation where the foundations of our house have rotted due to damp (I think that's how you phrase it..!).

A professional plasterer is currently fixing up the exterior walls after replacing the foundations. He would like us to fix the cracks in the plaster ourselves (I'm not sure why), and we are hoping to paint the walls ourselves.

So my questions are:
    1) How do we go about repairing cracks in the plaster? (Sorry if this question is in the wrong section)
    2) How do we prepare the solid plaster for painting?

My parents purchased water-based paints and also Dulux Primacryl. Are these appropriate for our situation?

Thank you very much for your future replies.

Apprentice (new member)

in my experience depending on how bad it has cracked and if it is still cracking then its different but if the movement has finished then you will need to different plaster compounds. Base coat compound and lite finish topping compound, Not setting compound.

depending on the size of the crack you will also need paper tape. say hair line crack just base coat it should be fine if you can fit a 10cent peiece in there base coat it with the tape. hit up youtube and type in taping plaster joints to see a vid.

base coat it once maybe twice then 2 coat it with topping depending on how you go you may need a 3rd topping lol. a pro will get it with 2 base coats one topping.

once its dry sand it with a plasters sanding square sponge block, dust it all down. grab some dulux interior Wallboard Sealer. seal all walls that are plasterboard then sand and patch all the imperfections with your lite finish compound. sand the patches spot prime cut in twice and roll twice and your doneeeee

hope this helps

Glenn - S & A Painting

If there was a previous damp problem, you may want to apply an Oil Based Sealer Binder on the hard plaster before repairing the cracks. If there is no damp course problem then repair the cracks then apply the Oil based Sealer Binder on the walls. Allow to dry for 16-24 hours give it a light pole sand then apply top coats of paint.