Hire the best Painter

Which primer to use?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Which primer to use?

I need to prime a wall currently painted blue before painting it white, prime skirting boards previously painted with an oil based enamel before painting with a water-based enamel and prime Tasmanian Oak kitchen cabinets before painting. I'd like to only buy the one can of primer if possible and I was thinking the Zinsser BIN alcohol based stuff would do the trick? Or should I buy the Zinsser 123 for the skirting and wall, and the BIN for the kitchen cupboards? The people at the hardware store are hopeless.

Zinsser Coverstain or Dulux Prep Lock oil based (turps wash up)would be ideal..BIN is also good ,but can be too fast drying when used over large wall areas,and a bit harder to clean up when used on multiple jobs.
    Regards,
    Blocker

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Blocker. Is there any way I'm going to be able to do this using a water based primer? Would really, really like to avoid turps clean up. Also, with the kitchen cabinets, I heard that a lot of primers take up to two weeks to 'cure' and can chip/scratch during this time - is this correct and what would be the best product to use to avoid this?

Apprentice (new member)

Ignore my last post - upon further investigation I think i'm going to have to go with the oil based stuff. Should I go for the Dulux Prep Lock shellac based or oil based stuff? I've never painted anything other than a latex/acrylic on a large area like an entire wall before - is there anything I need to know before I start?

Damn, now i'm going to have to use my Christmas break for good instead of evil...no more sitting on my bum eating fruit cake!

Apprentice (new member)

The Zinsser Coverstain would certainly do the trick, but is probably a bit unnecessary. You should be able to use the Dulux 1-Step Prepcoat (water-based) on all of those surfaces without any problems so long as the Tasmanian Oak you are priming is currently bare and doesn't have a varnish coat on them currently.

The covering of the wall colour is easy, and any water based undercoat should do that (though some cover better than others obviously), the only one to be careful of is the oil-based enamel topcoating with acrylic. Some companies (such as Taubmans) say you don't need to sand the enamel before undercoating it, but I would give that enamel a bit of a light sand with some 180grit just to de-gloss the surface, not the remove the paint. Once you've de-glossed it, clean up the dust with a damp rag and coat once with your Dulux 1-Step Prepcoat. Let it dry for 2 hours then top-coat.

Robbie
    Canberra

Zinsser Coverstain (Turps Wash Up) or Dulux Preplock (Turps Wash Up) would be the best single can product for these jobs.
    The wall is not a problem ,but if you use a water based product on the old enamel and Tassie oak cabinets ,which I assume are smooth surfaces,you are going to get an inferior finish (lots of brush marks).
    The water based products will also stay soft for at least 2-3 weeks,increasing the chances of chipping.
    Regards,
    Blocker

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks again. I went with the Coverstain and it is pretty good. The only problem was that it was drying too fast, I think due to the heat, but once I quickened the pace i was fine. Now I have to move on to dismantling my kitchen.