Hire the best Painter

Professional painting job, not happy with results, is it acceptable?

Novice

Default Professional painting job, not happy with results, is it acceptable?

Good afternoon

I have a quote to paint the outside of a brick veener house, basically eaves, doors, verandah posts, facia boards, hardiplank infills above windows and in courtyards. The quote includes, washing down, sanding, spot priming and filling and holes or gaps for exterior of house, basically courtyard hardiplank infills and eaves and spouting.

I have a quote for spouting that says one coat etching primer and two quotes of solarguard.

The job is complete and I have been up on roof to look at spouting and I notice large sections on the top that seem to be down to bare metal or not sure if it has bewen cleaned with acid to bare metal and then not repainted or is it etch primer that has been missed with the top coats

Around the hardiplank infills above windows lots of paint on bricks and lots of overpainting under verandah eaves on top of door frames etc. spouting has paint on bricks where spouting is attached to brick walls

Also have paint drips on glass sliding doors and windows in courtyards

Should they paint the bottom of power meter cabinet and bottom of timber strips and below bottom of glass sliding door

I have attached some photos. Is the quality of this work acceptable? Can these overpainting or drips be removed without damage?

thanks for any feedbacksand-fill.jpgdown-pipes.jpgspouting-1.jpgeaves-top-screen-door.jpgdownpipes.jpgeaves.jpgmore-windows-2.jpgbottom-boards.jpg

Everything in the pics is simply sloppy. They should clean that off. The PVC down pipe is acceptable. They have every right to make a mess as long as they clean it up.

3K Club Member

With acrylic paint you need to clean it straight away. I always have a bucket of water and cloth ready for accidental paint marks. Glass you can always come back to later with a scraper. A lot of those pics don't even look accidental, just careless work.

"Professional painting job"
    Should not be used to describe the work pictured hear..

I seriously doubt the person/person's who performed this work hold a licence other than a drivers licence..

It would be at a stretch to even call them Amateurs..

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
    Everything in the pics is simply sloppy. They should clean that off. The PVC down pipe is acceptable. They have every right to make a mess as long as they clean it up.
    A qualified painter would have no mess to clean up !!!
    So NO they have no right to make a mess..
    If you wanted a mess you would get kindygarden kids to come in and paint..
    & truth be known they would probably have performed better than this...

Golden Member

Good on ya, Strom. That job is disgraceful.

Novice

Default Painting job a disgrace should I pay

Thank you for the input.
    I have not paid the bill as yet.

External brown paint is Wattle Solargard. Is it possible to neatly remove excess paint from bricks, etc?
    If they come back, remove excess paint, finish painting two external garage doors, should I pay in full?

Thanks
    Kevin

That painting job is disgraceful, it was not done by a professional, or perhaps it was, a professional clutz.
    I would confront them with your concerns and ask them to repair the messy work, if it is not done correctly, then tell them you wlll not pay them, or at least not the full amount and let them know you will be going ot Fair Trading in your state, ask for all their details, license number etc.

Solarguard and any self priming paint can be removed but it can be difficult due to the makup of the paint, as shauck said, it's best to be cleaned straight away as it dries so quick and tends to bind to anything it touches very strongly.

I doubt they would even know how to remove it, and judging by the pictures, they wouldnt really care either, as to leave something like this as a finished job, means yo dont have any pride in your work.

Do they have a license ?, as no icensed painter I know could even do such a sloppy job even if they tried.

Your first port of call is to ask them to coma back as you have some concers about the job done, especially if they have sanded some metal back and not coated, it wil just rust, if you have no joy then go to Fair trading.

Golden Member

I agree with MetrixBuilding.

But before making the guy come back, prepare a thoroughly detailed written list of everything that's wrong or sloppy, each with precisely where it is on your property. Make two copies -- 1 for you and 1 for him.

Quote Originally Posted by warek View Post
    External brown paint is Wattle Solargard. Is it possible to neatly remove excess paint from bricks, etc?
    For smooth surfaces, metho will (eventually) remove acryllic paint but it can take a while. On brick, I've been able to remove it with (multiple applications of) paint stripper. Might need a toothbrush to scrub the stripper deeper into the surface. It's tedious and imperfect, but probably an improvement.

Luckily you have not paid them yet..
    You have no need to go to fair trading yet as you have not paid.. (The ball is in your court)
    Looking at this work I honestly don't believe they will ever be able to make good of it..
    They clearly have no pride in there work & certainly aren't licensed..
    The only resolution I can see hear is for you to withhold Money from payment (& lots of it)
    & have someone else come in to rectify it (As much as tradesmen hate doing so)

Goodluck...

3K Club Member

Can I ask, to be fair, how much painting did they do? What portion of the work was sub-average? Have you pictures of the rest of the work? I agree that you should ask them (in a civil manner) to clean up the mess before full payment and after that, if there is still mess (as you may find on the bricks for example), come to an agreement with them. Be fair about it. You should not be thinking that this is an opportunity to get a cheap job out of them, just fair compensation in proportion to damage done.