Hire the best Painter

Purdy and or Penetrol

Novice

Default Purdy and or Penetrol

I have recently painted our old stained timber kitchen doors, which had mouldings and some glass panels so lots of brush work. I thought I would use a brush for the lot as I didn't want to see any variation between brush and roller finishes.
    After speaking to the staff at my local paint supplier I added penetrol to both enamel undercoats and enamel Satin finish coat to remove any brush marks as advertised on the Penetrol. I am relatively happy with the finish but can still see brush marks at the vertical and hrizontal joint, even though the weather was not too warm when I did it and I finished of in one diection..
    I then met a pro painter who suggested I should have used a Purdy Synthetic brush, he said they are quite a bit more expensive but leave a fantastic finish, esp on enamels and estapols.

I have seen some display homes where there is not a brush mark in site on architraves, doors and windows.

My ??? are, are the Purdy's that much better, is Penetrol all its cracked up to be, and does the Penetrol extend the drying/curing time of the ename???

Thanks guys

Bob,
    Purdy is an excellent brush for this type of work,but other brands like ABC Monarch,Rota Cota,Oldfields etc with a soft bristle pack also work well.
    Most of the Tradies in our area use High Density Foam rollers in appropriate size for enameling doors these days.
    Penetrol will help,and fine sanding between coats is a must.

Regards,
    Blocker

Hi Bob..
    I Personally find that synthetic brushes are best used on Acrylics only..
    (Even though they stipulate they are good for use on both)
    For enamel work a GOOD quality hog bristle brush keeps its shape alot better in enamel especially on intricate cutting in work..
    The tip is to prepare the brush properly before painting..
    IE Soak in hot water and shampoo and wire brush till clean and apply hair conditioner as the final measure..

And weather plays a huge roll..
    Practice makes perfect..

Try the ABC Monarch range first, then try others if you are not happy. Buy from Paint shops as they do sell at the large hardware stores but are marketed and packaged for the diy market which means they are alot more expensive.

Novice

Thanks guys much appreciated. As for the Penetrol are you in favour and are there pros and cons, as per drying/curing times and is it all its cracked up to be?? I have always thinned with turps.
    Will give the Hog Bristle brush a go for my next lot of enamelling.

I have never bothered with Penetrol..
    Turps as required..
    You want to be careful adding turps though as to much turps and you no longer get the required coverage..
    In winter I like to warm the paint up bye letting it sit in a hot bucket of water..

Novice

So summing up would it be fair to say the smoother finish with minimal brush marks is aquired via a good quality brush and not the use of Penetrol.
    Agree with Strom re the coverage with adding too much turps but the Penetrol also claims to increase the coverage? Bit unsure......