Hire the best Painter

Removing Paint Slaps

Default Removing Paint Slaps

Hi, my first post here and hope someone can help. The previous owners of our house did a bit of a slap happy paint job at some stage so there are old dabs and slaps of paint where they shouldnt be. Can anyone recommend the best way/s to remove bits of paint from

exterior brick walls around window frames
    window glass
    light fittings (glass bit and anodized bit)
    and metal door handles?

it just looks so messy so wondering if i can clean some of it off.

thanks

I've found some info that the window glass can be cleaned up with a razor blade so that's one problem area I can tackle at least.

anyone have any experience with the other problem areas?

From brick - paint stripper is about your only option. (methylene chloride. Wear eye protection and rubber gloves, and you will know if you get it on your skin!)

Glass - a scraper. Just take care that you don't scratch the glass with the corners of the blade.

Light fittings - metal scraper on the glass, or paint stripper, and you are out of luck on the anodised bits unless you can scrape it off with something like a hard plastic scraper. Some of the slightly less nasty paint strippers may work (the citrus based ones) or they may still discolour the anodise. Personally, if it's that bad I'd be thinking of sandpaper and a respray with paint. (use an etch primer if it is aluminium).

Metal door handles - if they are plated (a brass-like finish) you should be ok with paint stripper, but you may need to respray them with clear varnish to stop them tarnishing. Test first to make sure you don't get some sort of nasty reaction between the plate and the stripper. If they are chrome or stainless, paint stripper should be fine.

thanks splinter

the doorhandles are the old style chromed type, i may even think about replacing these for something a bit more ornate
    i spent a few hours on sunday working on some of it, it's going to take a while to clean it all up because it's everywhere. there isnt even a single light fitting without paint on it the lights are the original 60s fittings all in great condition apart from the paint so hopefully i'll be able to get the paint off these as well. thanks for the help

Another option with the metal bits (assuming you can strip them down to just metal bits...no plastic) is to try soaking them in paint thinner (proper spray thinner - not turps) for a few hours to see if this softens the paint up - it works quite well on enamel paints, not sure how well it would go against water based ones.

Might be worth a try, you can easily do a houseful with a 4 litre tin (you only really deplete it with evaporation and spills).

Have had great success stripping GPO and light switch cover plates as well as door handles, use an old crock pot, put the items in, cover with water and turn on. Come back in about 4-5 hours and the paint will be soft and peel off in your hand.

Dont know how big the light fittings are, you may need a big crock pot.

For small paint spatter you could also try metho, is useful with acrylics but not enamel.

Regards Dave

citrus hand cleaner painted on and forgotten about for a few days works a treat and **usually** wont harm anything else.

Alloys I would test first.

thanks for all the great suggestions, i'm writing them all down so i can refer back to them. i'll get some more done this weekend, probably work on the bricks and window glass some more