Hire the best Painter

Repainting my apartment

Apprentice (new member)

Default Repainting my apartment

Hi Everyone

After 8 years in my apartment I was thinking of repainting. My Kitchen and Bathroon cupboards are Laminex "New Antique White" natural finish. My walls and ceilings are painted in Dulux "Chalk USA". I find this colour a bit too creamy. I was thinking of going 1/2 strength or a completely different colour.

I wrote to Dulux and their response was ...Dulux provides an in home Colour Consultancy service at a very affordable price which you can book via our website.

As I was only selecting one colour I didn't think this was necessary.

I would appreciate anyones thought on this matter.

Cheers

Susie

2K Club Member

Simple way would be to get a test pot and paint an area then you can see what it looks like in the day or night. You are the one

who has to live with it

Apprentice (new member)

Thnx goldie 1

Unfortunately Dulux can't do a sample pot of Chalk USA in 1/2 strength

You could also just get enough paint to do the whole job and cover a small area first. If to weak (light) take it back and get it tinted up to full strength. It wont be a perfect tint to the chart so make sure you do have enough in the retinted pot to do the complete job.

Senior Stinkologist Sir Stinkalot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by susie133 View Post
    Thnx goldie 1

Unfortunately Dulux can't do a sample pot of Chalk USA in 1/2 strength
    It could be the case that they cannot get a small enough quantity of the tinting agent into the sample pot. I recently tried to get a sample pot of Dulux White Duck 1/4 strength and was told it wasn't possible to the small Dulux sample pot however I was able to get 500ml of Taubmans base tinted to Dulux White Duck at Bunnings for the same price as the smaller Dulux sample pot. I don't know why they couldn't combine two sample pots ...... perhaps they didn't have anything to put the paint in.

We ended up using Dulux White Duck 1/4 strength with the Dulux wash and wear base, out of interest I painted a small section with my sample pot to compare and the Taubmans base was slightly different from the final Dulux product using their recommended base, but not so significant that it would void the use of the sample pot. For the record I only got the sample pot from Bunnings for after hours convenience and went to a Dulux retail store for the final tinting.

As for your colours it really is a personal choice and to be fair to Dulux they are unlikely to recommend a colour for you as they will most likely get it wrong.. The Chalk USA was all the rage ..... about 8 years ago! Personally I find it has too much yellow for my liking. The Dulux website has some good ideas but you should always get sample pots to try at home (http://www.dulux.com.au/colour/colou...llery/neutrals).

If your ceilings are also in Chalk USA I would look at painting these out white. Our ceilings were a slightly off white and painting them white really lifted the feeling of the room. The off white ceilings made the place feel gloomy. If you want to update the Chalk USA on the walls, Antique White USA could be viewed as the trendy replacement of the Chalk USA. It is slightly whiter (not the cream) with a touch of beige (stone). It is a similar shade to White Duck 1/4 which has a hint of a green base not the beige. White Swan is another lighter alternative to Chalk USA and may work well if you don't want to depart too much from the Chalk USA. If you visit a decent paint store you can have a look at the Dulux fan deck of colours and select a few sample pots to try.
    Licence to drill!

Antique white USA 1/2 strength gives a nice crisp white, coupled with full strenth aquanamel for the trim could work well as an alternative.

Apprentice (new member)

Thnx everyone for your replies....the paint does need to match the cupboards in Laminex New Antique White which has quite a cream tinge to it. I had originally thought of "Whisper White" but it doesn't match the cupboards, so that is why I was thinking of 1/2 strengths.

I probably have a couple of litres of Antique White USA (acrylic) which you are welcome to have if you contact me. Also have the same colour in a semi gloss enamel (about 1/2 litre).

Susie,
    Laminex New Antique White can be made in wall paint if you need to match.
    Regards,
    Blocker.