Hire the best Painter

Sanding Vs Sugar soap

Apprentice (new member)

Default Sanding Vs Sugar soap

I hope this is an easy question to answer.

We have just bought our first house from a little old lady (no joke) and ALL the walls have wall paper. We have removed the wall paper from the smallest bedroom and are preparing it for painting. With all the small holes and rough surfaces exposed I have gone around and filled gaps and holes, then sanded back ALL the wall surfaces. (overkill?)

Do I still need to wash the walls with sugar soap even though they have all be sanded back? And do I still need to use rubber gloves with the diluted sugar soap solution?

No member

I always wash the wall surfaces down after sanding because sanding is dusty. Paint doesn't stick to dust!

It's a good idea to use rubber gloves if you don't want to dry your skin out- sugar soap is pretty powerful on bare skin.

Apprentice (new member)

ok, thank you.

I was planning to wash the walls down anyway to get rid of the dust, I was just wondering if sugar soap was still necessary.

Also, the sugar soap bottle advises to rinse the walls off before painting (yes, I do read instructions, sometimes), is this really necessary?

Novice

When Ive removed wallpaper using a steamer, it usually loosens the wallpaper adhesive etc which I thoroughly wash off with plain water.

I only use sugar soap if the walls are stained with smoke of grease and then Ive thoroughly rinsed it off. Painting is ALL about preparation and most crap-looking jobs are usually caused by taking shortcuts
    Last edited by Tannwin; 9th Mar 2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: omission

Apprentice (new member)

sounds reasonable. Thanks.

I wouldn't be wetting any topcoat you have applied to the walls this would damage the topcoat..
    Walls should have been washed before repairs to walls commenced..

Apprentice (new member)

oh, I washed the walls after all repairs were done but before any paint was applied. I figured that way it helped get rid of any dust on the walls without doing the same job twice.