Hire the best Painter

To Set or Not to Set

Novice

Default To Set or Not to Set

Hi all,
    I after some advise re setting plasterboard. I know there are some great guides out there for how to do it, but I want to know how people have gone when they have tried it themselves - is it something you would do again? Do yuo reckon the finish you got is as good as the pros?

I've got about 45m2 of ceilings to do, and 50m2 of walls. I've built it all so far, but I reckon the finishing trades are the ones that need to do a good job - no one is going to see how level my noggins were!

Maybe I'm just getting a but weary after 8 months of renos.

cheers,
    Jim

Novice

So everyone's happy with the setting job they did?

Have have done some of my own setting. First couple of joins I did came out OK. Can't complain. But after doing a few I am quite confident to do the job myself.

The main advice I have is not to use any pre-mixed base or top coat that comes in a tub. I find they tend to shrink and the top coat dries too powdery. Perhaps only happens with the stuff I have bought in the past.

However, having said that, you have quite a fair bit to do. For that amount of space I would get someone in. It would take me days cause I tend to work slowly
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

If you take your time and just do it you will end up with a job any pro would be proud of

Regards Bradford

1K Club Member

I say go for it. I set my whole house with a lot of square set downstairs and cornice upstairs, was very rewarding if your not happy at first sand it back start again.Best results with paper tape

Novice

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the tip re the premix - I'll check out the bags of the stuff instead.

Bradford and Cherub - thanks for your posts - cherub - how long did it take you? Well, I suppose I'm trying to work out how long it will take me......

Recon it all comes down to how much time/cash and possibly incentive have u got.

Spent a couple of days doing some dog work (u know lugging sheet, being an extra hand holding up plasterboard). At the same time getting tips off a plasterer whilst doing a job.

After doing a few basic jobs for myself (walls only so far) I recon his words really rang true. The biggest difference between a job that he does verses mine is the amound of sanding required. He definelty did a lot less sanding than I do. Gonna get some more time up before I think about square set.

He prefers to use Lafarge over CSR base and top coats. Recons CSR is too lumpy.
    When I die, bury me in the hardware store

Jimbo,

My first efforts at setting gyprock were woeful, with the result that the next time faced having to do some I did not set the walls at all but put in a daddo rail all the way round over the sheet join.

Since then I have realised my problem was I was trying to do too much too quickly as I was trying to get it all done in one weekend - not allowing enough time to set between coats/sanding (consequently stuffing up the finish when sanding not quite dry mix), relying on an electric sander to smooth out the bumps and trying to skimp on the number of coats required etc.

On the current reno I have more than enough to keep going on other things in between coats and I reckon I am getting pretty good at it!!

Now I take care to allow sufficient drying time and put an extra bit of care into making each coat's finish as smooth as possible (without being silly about it) so I only need to give the FINAL skimcoat a light sand, and do not have to sand the undercoats at all. The most important visual issue is having an non-distinct 'transition' between the edges of your final skimcoat and the uncovered areas of gyprock - this is the bit that does well with some extra attention from 240 grit paper.

It is definitely doable for DIY, just take the necessary time and think about it as you go....good luck
    If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing

Novice

Thanks guys. There are some areas behind kitchen cupboards that I could probably practice on. I'm going to get a couple of quotes, and then decide if it is worth the learning curve.

i have hung all my sheets
    and there is no way i finished any of it off and god knows i tried.

It looks bloody easy, doesnt?
    Anyone can do it .
    yeah right.

if you havent done plenty of plaster work then leave it for the pros, is the only advice i can give you.

Golden Member

Default Setting plasterboard

I hung, set and finished my cathedral ceiling, 30 degree slope, spanning 3 adjoining areas, about 60 sq m, boxed 2 big skylights in the process, shadowlined the lot.

Looks pretty damn good, all me own work - and took just over a year to complete. Haven't quite got around to bogging up the shadowline-wall junctions. And SWMBO looks sideways when I suggest the next project.

I wouldn't do setting in that volume again, not on yer nellie. Tradies would do that in less than a week, that's 51 less than I took!

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Best advise I could give you is to scrape back the joins between coats as soon as the plaster has set properly before applying another coat. Scraping back any high points will ensure you dont over fill joins which is the most common problem.

See the video's on my site they should help you.

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Novice

Well, you blokes won't talk to me again, but I've decided to get a mob in to do the plastering. There are external corners, internal and square-set wall to ceiling junctions at 3.8m - and as soon as I read Bugsy and Compleat Amateu's posts, I knew that would be me - I'd still be cursing the job at Christmas, and the wife cursing me.
    On the DIY side, I used Rod's tips about how to get plastering quotes and to make sure they do three coats and use paper tape - does that count?

I'll let you know how it turns out.....
    cheers,
    jim

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Sure does Jimbo. Just make sure you are happy and they finish the job before you pay the final payment!

Cheers Good Luck.

Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Novice

So the plasters have spent 7 man days so far fixing and setting the job. They've done three coats, used paper tape. They are coming back tomorrow to sand. Is there anything I need to look out for, before handing over my cash?

Run your hand over a few joins when they have sanded to make sure they are flat and smooth, same goes for the angles, look for small pin holes hard to see now but wait till the paint goes on, stand out like dogs ears
    apart from that get painting

Novice

thanks plasterpro. If there are pin holes, is it reasonable to ask the plasterers to re do the top coat?
    painting. I hate painting. But given I got a mob to do the gyprocking, I'm running out of things I can avoid!

Jimbo,

Just curious what size room/s you had done and what it cost as I have no idea what rates are. Did that include material or not? Thanks, Ron
    If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_jones View Post
    thanks plasterpro. If there are pin holes, is it reasonable to ask the plasterers to re do the top coat?
    yes but only where the pin holes are, once its sanded they look like tiny little black dots on the join and look sh!7house if just painted over.
    Must mention pinholes are not always the tradesmans fault and can be caused by other factors other than poor work practice.

Novice

Well, I think it is about 95% there. I'm getting to like the old italian guy who is doing the job - it is hard to be critical of someone's work when you know they have been doing it for the last thirty years. There were a few scrape marks here and there, and some other dodgy areas. There are definitely pin holes in some of the joints. Others look silky smooth like icing sugar. He told me to grab a pencil and circle the ones I didn't like the look of! I think he realised it wasn't quite up to scratch - he told me to undercoat it, and then get him back once you could see all of the dodgy bits. But after a couple hours of me sanding and him filling, there weren't many areas left that I was unhappy with. I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning, and then decide whether to ask him back.

Ronaldo, I'll take some photos and work out the qty. Roughly, it was an area of 8m x 5m, divided into two by 600mm returns and a bulkhead (lots of external angle), skillion roof sloping from 3m to 4m. Plus another area 3m x 1.5m, with an opening into the other area (again, external angle). They supplied the sheets, fixed and set. Everything was square set, inc the wall to ceiling junction. This was agreed to be $3.5K. I also got them to set two bathrooms (in total 3m x 3m) that I had previously lined with villaboard (price yet to be determined). In all, it has taken them 8 man days. Sorry for the detail if you didn't need it!!!

Any thoughts suggestions welcome - I find it hard to be fussy about someone's work when I'm not experienced doing it myself.....

Novice

Ronaldo,
    Here are some photos, to give you an idea of the space.

they only came by today to pick up some cash. Haven't paid them the full amount yet as there are still some bits they have to fix up.

Golden Member

Default Setting acres of plasterboard

Not doing it yourself was the right choice ... otherwise you'd still be setting Xmas morning if you are like me ... not to mention the sanding!

Novice

yeah, I'm ok with it all. They came back today, didn't fix everything up, but I'll spend tomorrow patching and sanding (and no doubt cursing them), but then it will be done. They didn't do a perfect job, but they have put me way ahead of where I would have otherwise been. I'd do the same again.