Hire the best Painter

U'coat + 2 topcoats vs 3 topcoats?

Golden Member

Default U'coat + 2 topcoats vs 3 topcoats?

OK, so I'm back doing some more of my ceilings again...

The original colour was a pale beige. I've applied 2 coats of Taubmans Endure Ceiling, i.e., this stuff:
    Taubmans | Technology Applied | Endure Ceiling
    (Floetrol added and applied with a 14mm sheepskin roller.)

In my darker rooms, 2 such coats of a decent ceiling white has been sufficient, but now I'm doing a well-lit room and I think a 3rd coat is needed to get the best possible result.

For the current ceiling, I'm obviously committed to a 3rd coat of Endure, but now I'm wondering whether it would have been better if I'd used 1 undercoat (e.g., Taubmans 3-in-1) followed by 2 topcoats of Endure, rather than 3 coats of Endure?

I guess undercoat tends to be a bit cheaper, but that doesn't matter much to me overall. I'm more concerned about maximizing the quality of the end result, so I'd be grateful for opinions from professionals on this point.

I'm no pro but I've done the painting for my renovation and I'm currently painting my extension. 3-1 to the best of my knowledge is used on raw surfaces like gyrock to seal it for top coats. I think it is unnecessary on painted surfaces and would have lower covering capability than top coat. Bang on a couple of coats of top coat and see how it looks. No good hit it again .

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by aussieslr View Post
    [...] 3-1 to the best of my knowledge is used on raw surfaces like gyrock to seal it for top coats. I think it is unnecessary on painted surfaces and would have lower covering capability than top coat.
    Thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean about 3-1 not covering as well. Curiously, I've found that an oil-based undercoat like Taubmans PrepRight does much better -- provided you don't work it too much over the old acryllic.

Bang on a couple of coats of top coat and see how it looks. No good hit it again .
    The only difficulty with this strategy on ceilings is that by the 3rd coat it's really hard to see where you haven't been, unless the light is excellent. I just now finished a 3rd topcoat on my ceiling, and then the light improved when the sun came out and I saw I'd missed some spots -- but too late to go back over them without making it worse. I hope it'll be ok when fully dry.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'll use the Dulux "pink-turns-white" stuff as the 3rd coat hereafter.

Cheers.

Hearing you regarding not knowing where you've been. It hasn't been an issue for me in my bedrooms etc because the light is only coming from one point (ie window) and with few reflections. My extension will be different because where the old meets the new is now one big room with bifold on one side and a window on the other. It is east/west so it gets morning and avo light plus it has floor boards. I like a fight so I purchased Dulux Once and I'm going to two coat it. If that doesn't look good I'll cry

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by aussieslr View Post
    My extension will be different because where the old meets the new is now one big room with bifold on one side and a window on the other. It is east/west so it gets morning and avo light plus it has floor boards. I like a fight so I purchased Dulux Once and I'm going to two coat it. If that doesn't look good I'll cry
    I've never found that Dulux "Once" anything is ever really "Once". Maybe you'll be okay with 2 coats if you use plenty of Floetrol and sheepskin roller.

BTW, 3 hrs later my ceiling has dried and looks totally brilliant. I'm really glad I did that 3rd coat. Makes a big difference between "ok" and "fantastic".

Sorry I meant one coat of 3in1 then two coats of Dulux Once. I'll see how it looks then hit it a third time if I'm not happy. 'Once' might refer to how many times I buy it if it doesn't cove in two coats .
    Glad to hear your ceiling looks smick. I do that too where I look at it wet and gasp - then come back when its dry and cheer .