Hire the best Painter

what method to use to paint outside of this brick house?

2K Club Member

Default what method to use to paint outside of this brick house?

need to paint the outside of this house below. the brick work and wood window frames and wood top part above roofline and eaves.
    what would be the best method to do this and cheapest?? just want cheap for this one.
    do i need to do it by hand, roller or would spray be best??
    and yeah i would need to wirebrush some of it first i know.

China

The cheapest way would be with long nap roller and some hard work, easier way would be to hire a airless spray gun $200 per day) with a suction hose and draw the paint from a bulk container ( 20lt drum) for the bricks, fort he windows etc. paint brush. Easyest but most expensive hire a pro painter $6-7000

Easiest method would be Airless spray but this is not always the easiest method for a novice..

Planter box has issues with salt damp
    This will need to be addressed before painting..

Don't skimp on the prep the house looks like it has lots of it..

Good luck..

2K Club Member

what should i do before painting over the salt damped area and how?
    would an air spray painter work the same or not? i have a compressor and spray gun.

render it first then it will be easy to paint

Hi..
    The sand in the planter box will need to be removed and the internal water proofed (bitumen coating).. Also making allowance for water to dissipate..

And NO I would defiantly not recommend a compressor / paint pot for painting this house..

Bugsy let me get this right you want him to render the outside of this house to make it easier to paint ?..

As stated previously this house looks to have lots of prep good luck...

2K Club Member

ok, no way im redering anything on this house, too hard and costly, and im not emptying out that planter either, too hard and the house simply aint worth it.
    its almost ready for demolition so just a cheap paint job over the salt damp with a long nap roller to make it look good for renting for a few years is good enough for me.
    i will get a wire brush fitting for my drill as well to make wirebrushing easier to remove the loose crap already on there.

Cheapest way is to use a brush and roller. Labour is the most expensive part and if you do it yourself you will save plenty. Clean all surfaces with sugar soap and water solution. Wire brush planter box to remove flakey paint then seal it with a sealer binder. Sand all other surfaces and apply exterior paint.

Novice

Can you recommend a good sealer binder? I have a bizarre wall inside that was fine before I painted it (it was raw plaster with masonite nailed to it before) but now has sprouted vivid orange and black stains and crazy bubbling paint. Its a 30cm thick stone and brick wall, so not far off that planter box there. Same issue - just want it to not look like it is alien infested so it can be rented for a few years. There used to be a very bad leak in the roof above that wall and obviously the wall isn't even close to dry yet. The outside of that wall has a very, very thick layer of paints (every colour from cream to blue to aqua to navy to orange) on it so is 100% watertight and apparently the water escapes inside not outside
    Some fun sites to visit: photographicdictionary (which might help you identify an errant plant in your backyard) and simplesustainable - a sustainable lifestyle forum.

Novice

There are many cheap options.
    You haven't stated how long you want your applications to last for.
    As a roof restorer though, i practice using methods that are going to last!!
    We have guarantees on our roofing paint ranging from seven to ten years depending on product used. Our preparation is very thorough however.
    In your case, the fact you want to go cheap means you don't want it to last too long.
    Make sure the existing paint is cleaned extensively and free from loose flakes ect then apply a good quality primer. These can be purchased for around $60 for 20 ltrs and can cover about 100M2.
    Any good acrylic exterior paint can then be applied.
    Its easy for a beginner to make a mess with an airless spray gun so just use a roller.

Cheers,

Phil Thomson
    www.guardianroofing.com.au