Hire the best Painter

Whats the best way to paint concrete stairs already painted?

2K Club Member

Default Whats the best way to paint concrete stairs already painted?

I have several sets os stairs with reasonable traffic on them, they look like they have been painted atleast 3 times before and paint is wearing.
    seems to be acrylic paint from what i can see, the metho on rag and wipe comes off with paint colour ont he rag.
    they need to be painted in slip proof paint, maybe stuff with sand or something in it??
    how would i go preparing and painting it? first layer normal pain and the second paint with sand in it or the other way around??

Dear Wozza,

From what I've seen here and there in Paint-shops, it looks like Berger have the best range when it comes to Paving-paint: Berger Jet Dry - Homepage
    In addition to an acrylic-range, they also do a solvent-based line, which you'd have to figure would be tougher than acrylic for that sort of thing anyday. I can't see from the website whether you can get one with grit in it, though - but you might be surprised just how unslippery the normal non-gloss stuff is, even when it's wet. There's a couple of little videos there at the website on "preparation" - one for the solvent range, and another for the acrylics.

I had a can of another brand out in the garage a while back, but I can't remember right now what the brand was... I remember that it was polyurethane, though (and it's very tough...).

Good Luck,
    Batpig.

Berger do a non slip paving paint as do White Knight, have used the Berger and its got good coverage and easy to use.

2K Club Member

cool, that jetdry sounds the go. is that solvent or water based? i cant seem to find that info. they reckon its fast drying so i assume water based??

Hey Wozza - this one might be worth checking out too: Bondall - Garage & Factory Floor Protector
    (it's polyurethane, and not slippery...).

Regarding the Jetdry, it sounds like one range is acrylic, and the other is solvent-based.

Best Wishes,
    Batpig.

The Berger Jet Dry I have used is oil based. You can either have it as a smooth finish or you can add the sand to it. Put the sand in both coats.

I'm about to use that liquid sandstone stuff on the front render trim and the angled brick ?sills? that are under the wooden threshold on my back doors.
    I picked up a tub on sale to match my render trim to my sandstone window sills.

The brochure shows some nice ground finishes compared to some of the non-slip surfaces I've ended up with.

If only I'd thought of this stuff before my wife insisted on $late on the front steps.
    I'll let you know how it goes unless someone has just cause to not recommend doing it.

http://www.megatreat.com/index.php?page=3

Cheers,
    Garth

2K Club Member

looking over the berger website, where the hell do i get this stuff from?? i cant find any dealers on their website, how am i suppose to get it if i cant find out where it is available from.
    anyone know where i can get this jet-dry stuff??

Cheap and nasty solution.

Get some normal outdoor paint. Throw a handful of sand in it. Paint. When it dries, the sand will creat the non slip texture.

M

2K Club Member

na, proper way i want.
    just as i type i got email from berger saying i can get it from dulux centres or bunnings.