Hire the best Gyprock Expert

which beads to use

Apprentice (new member)

Default which beads to use

Hey guys,

I am in the process of converting my garage into a music man cave, I have constructed 2 rooms within the garage dwelling.
    I will be cladding the walls with 2 layers of plaster, 1st layer of 16mm f/check (which is already done) and another layer of 13mm standard plaster.

My question is, which plaster beads can/should I use for around the window reveal and door jambs (which are all timber).
    Reason I ask is because if I have to use "L" type beads that return back into the wall it means I have to allow for it when I measure and cut the plaster for around the window and door jamb. Some of the 16mm stuff which is already up finished tight to some of the jambs which means any "L" type beads cant have a return of more than 13mm cause it will hit the bottom layer. I was hoping that there is some type of "flat" bead that simply butts up to the reveal and door jamb which means I can measure and cut the final layer of plaster tight to the reveal and jambs. The window reveal and jambs are setup so that the last layer (top layer) of plaster finishes flush with the face of the reveal and jambs. At this stage im not sure if I will arch the doorways or windows.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks,

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmuso View Post
    Hey guys,

I am in the process of converting my garage into a music man cave, I have constructed 2 rooms within the garage dwelling.
    I will be cladding the walls with 2 layers of plaster, 1st layer of 16mm f/check (which is already done) and another layer of 13mm standard plaster.

My question is, which plaster beads can/should I use for around the window reveal and door jambs (which are all timber).
    Reason I ask is because if I have to use "L" type beads that return back into the wall it means I have to allow for it when I measure and cut the plaster for around the window and door jamb. Some of the 16mm stuff which is already up finished tight to some of the jambs which means any "L" type beads cant have a return of more than 13mm cause it will hit the bottom layer. I was hoping that there is some type of "flat" bead that simply butts up to the reveal and door jamb which means I can measure and cut the final layer of plaster tight to the reveal and jambs. The window reveal and jambs are setup so that the last layer (top layer) of plaster finishes flush with the face of the reveal and jambs. At this stage im not sure if I will arch the doorways or windows.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks,
    Hmm sounds like a 10mm "L" bead will do the job.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

1K Club Member

Could also use shadowline profile, then no need for arch.

Quote Originally Posted by cherub65 View Post
    Could also use shadowline profile, then no need for arch.
    yes
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the reply guys,

I have pretty much put up all of the plaster, just gotta do some fiddly bits. At this stage it looks like I am gonna go with some archs around the door jambs cause I am not confident that I can do a good plaster finishing job, so I'll just caulk up any gaps where the plaster meets the jambs and arch it.

Im gonna do some research on stopping up since ive never done it before but I do have a quick question.

Do I need to fill any decent size gaps before stopping up, if so, what should I use?

thanks again, hopefully I can find some decent vids on stopping up internal corners, vertical and horizontal joins!

Quote Originally Posted by madmuso View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys,

I have pretty much put up all of the plaster, just gotta do some fiddly bits. At this stage it looks like I am gonna go with some archs around the door jambs cause I am not confident that I can do a good plaster finishing job, so I'll just caulk up any gaps where the plaster meets the jambs and arch it.

Im gonna do some research on stopping up since ive never done it before but I do have a quick question.

Do I need to fill any decent size gaps before stopping up, if so, what should I use?

thanks again, hopefully I can find some decent vids on stopping up internal corners, vertical and horizontal joins!
    Try my web site!!
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT