Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Building an internal wall for soundproofing

Apprentice (new member)

Default Building an internal wall for soundproofing

Hi everyone,

New here. Hoping to get some advice about building an internal wall for soundproofing purposes. This post is only partially about plastering so hopefully it’s ok to post here.

I live in a converted shopfront on a very busy road. Lots of traffic only a few meters away from the shopfront including b-double trucks.

I am wanting to build an internal wall inside the shopfront 2.5m away from the window and wondering if anyone has any advice about how to go about it. Decibel levels at that distance from the window can go up to 65/70 db. The wall also requires fixed windows at the top to let the light in on the side opposite the road.

Keen to hear your advice in particular about the following:
    - Studs: timber or steel? (Knauf acoustic studs?)
    - Single or double stud wall? Wall thickness is a consideration and I’d be keen to stay under 2000mm or better even 1500 unless there’s no way to achieve a significant sound reduction with those thicknesses.
    - Plasterboard: Gyprock Fyrcheck, Soundcheck, Supercheck? Or Knauf Soundshield? Or possibly Barrierboard? Two layers on each side?
    - Door: solid core? What sort of seals would be best?
    - Windows: Hush Lam? Double Glazed? Triple glazed?

Any other advice gratefully received. I won’t be doing the work myself so any recommendations of carpenters/plasterers in the Melbourne area also very gratefully received.

Cheers!

2K Club Member

Be aware that the sound will likely be coming through any floorboards and possibly the roof too.

Golden Member

There is a technique when building a stud wall where each second stud is offset, decoupling I believe that it is called. You need more studs but there is not so much sound transfer from plaster to plaster. Google it.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    Be aware that the sound will likely be coming through any floorboards and possibly the roof too.
    Thank you. Yes, planning to do it in stages: internal wall first and then ceiling/floor if needed (hopefully not).

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by gpkennedy View Post
    There is a technique when building a stud wall where each second stud is offset, decoupling I believe that it is called. You need more studs but there is not so much sound transfer from plaster to plaster. Google it.
    Thank you, I'll have a look.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    Thank you. Yes, thinking of a staged approach here: internal wall first and then ceiling/floor if necessary (hopefully not).

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by gpkennedy View Post
    Thank you, will look it up!

Download the Gyprock Red Book, it has all the ways to build a wall for fire and soundproof properties.
    Follow the instructions to the T or else whatever you build will be compromised.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    Download the Gyprock Red Book, it has all the ways to build a wall for fire and soundproof properties.
    Follow the instructions to the T or else whatever you build will be compromised.
    Thank you, this is a fantastic resource!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTiger View Post
    Thank you, this is a fantastic resource!
    Yep, someone has spent all the money and time to give you the solution, with many options to suit different scenarios.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir