Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Can anyone identify this plaster?

Default Can anyone identify this plaster?

Hi all, hope you can help, I am trying to identify this plaster and hopefully find out if anyone still makes it (or something close)

This is in my hallway but our bathroom and front verandah are the same pattern.

The only other place I have ever seen it was in the kitchen of a house a few doors down, (which has since been demolished). It had another ceiling like one in my house and I suspect they were both built by the same builder in the 1930's, I was allowed to remove some timber and doors prior to the demo and I recognised the hand writing of dimensions on the back of a piece of skirting.

I will need to replace the bathroom ceiling which is 2900 x 1800 approx. and would love to retain the original pattern if at all possible.

I have tried some of the plaster people in Sydney but obviously with no success.

Hope someone can help, many thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hall-ceiling.jpg   hall-ceiling-01.jpg  
    Cheers

Alan M

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

give Ryan a call at silverline cornice, he was able to make me some custom cornice last year at a great price, he has molds going back 50yrs

CONTRACTOR

Hi Make It Work

Ornemental fibrous plaster. I & V Plaster in Condell Park, Baileys in Peakhurst or Sydney Plasterworks in Smithfield are your best bets. If you have no luck, we custom make anything and everything.

MP.

hi,

that would be a "flatened textured" effect, you use a spaghetti roller and then flatten slighty

the trouble will be most rollers today will not give as large a pattern you have there, maybe search european web engines to see if you can find a sleeve

thanks

Hi all and thanks for the replies so far,
    We have been to I & V Plaster, bought roses & vents from Sydney Plaster, a fair bit of cornice & strips from Baileys as well as panels from All Plaster at Schofields. We looked at many websites and catalogues and as yet not seen very much at all in the way of textured fiberous sheeting.

I have seen something vaguely similar in a hammered aluminium sheet but it is rather expensive and was not close enough to make us want to go that way.

Myla, when you talk of a flatened textured effect and a spaghetti roller, are you refering to a paint on effect? This is definately not a painted effect, I once removed the light from the verandah and the plaster is like new under there, but if this pattern can be replicated with a textured effect, I am very interested.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming.
    Cheers

Alan M

hi,

no, not paint but using a Spaghetti roller sleeve (just the affect)

plaster would be trowelled on and the roller go over the top to create impression

many plasterers years ago were ingenious in their creation of "finishing" tools

for instance, it may be a roller sleeve with diamond shaped cut-outs stuck to the roller to give the affect, unfortunately very difficult to replicate without specific tool but could get close

thanks

CONTRACTOR

hi again

Is this pattern in the bathroom ceiling you are removing. Maybe you can have a cast made of it. A fibrous plasterer should have no problem replicating this for you. I have installed this pattern only recently however we are on the mid north coast. Maybe ask the local plaster stores for preferred contractors.

Hi MP, where abouts on the Mid North Coast are you at? I will be in Port Macquarie in April.

The plaster ceiling in the bathroom has been painted several times over peeling and flaking paint every time by the previous owners and it looks like crap, so making a casting of it is really not an option.

As for rolling plaster, would you see the strokes of the roller in the pattern? and is it an option to do it before putting the sheets up?
    Cheers

Alan M

CONTRACTOR

Hi,

We are in Taree, but work in Port often. I could make these panels for you if you are able to wait until april to pick them up. I am sure a local could knock these up for you though.

MP.