Hire the best Gyprock Expert

DIY Ceiling and Cornice - Advice

1K Club Member

Default DIY Ceiling and Cornice - Advice

Hi,

Im just after some opinions about attempting to fix ceiling and 250 vic cove cornice as DIY'er.

I dont have any doubts about fixing the sheets -it seems pretty straight forward. I also wont be flushing it so thats a non-issue.

I am however concerned about how difficult it is to fix 250 vic cove cornice and get it looking nice. I've got a few quotes and theyre all around $7K to fix ceiiling, flush and install cornice which isnt too bad....

Any thoughts? Does anyone have a link to a thread for installing that type cornice??

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micky013 View Post
    Hi,

Im just after some opinions about attempting to fix ceiling and 250 vic cove cornice as DIY'er.

I dont have any doubts about fixing the sheets -it seems pretty straight forward. I also wont be flushing it so thats a non-issue.

I am however concerned about how difficult it is to fix 250 vic cove cornice and get it looking nice. I've got a few quotes and theyre all around $7K to fix ceiiling, flush and install cornice which isnt too bad....

Any thoughts? Does anyone have a link to a thread for installing that type cornice??
    I would not attempt to put that cornice up without experience. It is hard enough to do right when you know what you are doing.

But if you decide to do it yourself have a look at my web site it will give you a good idea about cutting etc.

This cornice requires need to be pinned in place until the adhesive sets. You would never be able to put up an entire room with one mix as a diy. I would only do 2 full lenghts at a time. I would cut a lenght at 1m long with a miter on each end to use as a guide to the correct positioning of each length. You must use a mitre box and a long blade saw for cutting. You cant rush the cutting the saw has to stay perfectly upright throughout the cut, or you hollow out internal mitres and the opposite for externals.

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Golden Member

Default Agree with Rod.

This can be a devil of a job. Cutting cornice is not easy for a DIY. Ceiling sheets can be awkward without a good team. It is getting the whole job looking nice that is the difficulty. Strongly advise you to get a professional to do the job. You will be looking at any imperfection for years to come. Tears before bedtime.

1K Club Member

Thanks guys.

No doubt i'll probably be going with a pro.

Just thought i might be able to save some cash doing it my self but i dont want any tears before bed thanks.

Cheers for the feedback!