Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Is this a dodgy plastering job?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Is this a dodgy plastering job?

Hi Everybody,

First time poster. Shame it has to be a post of this nature.

There was some water damage to our property which is due to settle on the 10th of February. Repairs were organised by the Property Manager (property previously tenanted) and completed last Friday. We went to inspect on Saturday and attached are the results.

The plastering is rough, uneven, the shapes of the joins are terrible. Unfortunately the electricity hasn't been connected yet, however, under lights, the repairs would have looked even worse!

Reading previous posts and how2plaster.com we should be entitled to a quality finish!

Can anybody offer any quick advice as to what to do? Rod, if you are around, I've shot you an e-mail and PM on the subject hoping to engage your inspection service.

Very very frustrating considering we are investing a considerable amount of money into this property!=(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_6339.jpg   img_6340.jpg   img_6343.jpg   img_6345.jpg  

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Yes it is a doggy job without doubt.

You are entitled to a repair job done by a competent tradesman where the repair would not be visable under normal lighting conditions.

The job is so obviously sub-standard that you should save the money on getting an inspection and contact the agent and let them know it is not acceptable and that your require them to provide a tradesman with the required skills to repair the job to an acceptable standard, More often than not with the right approach these issues can be resolved without incurring the expense of getting an inspection. Advice here is free!

You would be advised to speak to your solicitor about the terms of settlement to include a provision for this work to be repaired to an aceptable standard so the process of moving in is not delayed. If they refuse or fail to repair the job to an acceptable standard, then it would be the time to give me a call.

Another option is to offer them a reduction in the purchase price to cover the cost of repairing the plasterwork, re-painting the entire room and clean up. Then you are free to supervise the repair yourself. If you apply the right kind of pressure, that is, you will not be fobbed off with sub-standard workmanship and are prepared to get an ispection to ensure the work is up to standard, this 2nd option may be the best. You might find they will be happy to get rid of the problem, You will need to get a price for the works to ensuure you are covered.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dyson View Post
    Another option is to offer them a reduction in the purchase price to cover the cost of repairing the plasterwork, re-painting the entire room and clean up.
    Hi Rod,

Thanks for your time, insight and professional opinion. Very much appreciated especially given that you are on holidays from tomorrow a.m!

Following your guidance I will be talking to our Solicitor tomorrow to ensure we get some sort of resolution as I agree, the work is very below par.

Just one last question, as a very rough guestimate if after investigation it was determined that two complete walls and the ceiling of the room needed to be replaced how much would we be up for? The room in question is 3.7m wide x 3.3m long.

Again, thanks so much for your help and I'll let you know the outcome in due course.

That's dodgy even by my dodgy standards (I was once chastised by Rod).
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Hi Schmick

I am a complete amateur and following rods directions I have completed an entire room - from sheeting to top coating. Mine is 100% better than that rubbish.

Was this an insurance job due to the water?, in which case isnt it an issue for them to rectify.
    I just love sheepies!

Quote Originally Posted by murray44 View Post
    That's dodgy even by my dodgy standards (I was once chastised by Rod).
    Sorry Murray, you must have deserved it LOL
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    Hi Schmick

I am a complete amateur and following rods directions I have completed an entire room - from sheeting to top coating. Mine is 100% better than that rubbish.

Was this an insurance job due to the water?, in which case isnt it an issue for them to rectify.
    I would say it is in the context that the unit was purchased before the damage in good condition, Now it is being handed to him in a poor condition. Regardless of it being an insurance claim or not it is the Vendor's responsibility to either provide the property in the condition at the time of sale or compensate the buyer.

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Ah, I thought he was selling it, not buying it, given that he said it was "our property". My bad! .
    I just love sheepies!

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dyson View Post
    I would say it is in the context that the unit was purchased before the damage in good condition, Now it is being handed to him in a poor condition. Regardless of it being an insurance claim or not it is the Vendor's responsibility to either provide the property in the condition at the time of sale or compensate the buyer.

Cheers Rod
    That's correct, when we signed the contract the damage didn't exist. The damage occurred whilst the property was still in the Vendor's hands and was a result of water ingress (pipe from ensuite shower above this room leaked).

No insurance claim and not covered by the Body Corporate either. I understand the repairs were to be paid for by the Vendor, hence maybe why the job was rushed and not up to standard.

Disappointing nonetheless and I'm the type of person whose a 'do it right the first time' kind of guy!

Hopefully we can get it all sorted tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted with what happens and thanks for all your valuable input.

I would say you are all too quick to chastise the tradesman in this case, for a one legged blind man with no sense of feeling in his hands I think he has done a reasonable job

on a more serious note, even my dodgy plastering skills a better !

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Guys,

An update on our situation.

Had a call from the agent this afternoon confirming that both the plastering and painting will be rectified. This was after applying pressure to the Vendor's Solicitors to the effect that we would be withholding $2,000 of the settlement money in order to rectify the botched repair job.

The agent confirmed to me that the initial plastering work was done by the painter who obviously did not have the required skills to do this work. The 'fix up' plastering will be done this time around by a professional plasterer so hopefully (fingers crossed) it will be up to standard.

Out of curiosity, how soon after you plaster can you apply paint? The plasterer is going in tomorrow morning with the painter scheduled to be coming that same afternoon.

Thanks again for all your replies and especially to Rod on providing me with the angle in which to approach our problem.

CONTRACTOR

Hi Schmick,
    I would be leaving it at least 24 hours until I painted. It will need to dry overnight before it can be sanded.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by masterplasterer View Post
    Hi Schmick,
    I would be leaving it at least 24 hours until I painted. It will need to dry overnight before it can be sanded.
    Hi masterplasterer,

Thanks for your feedback... Plasterer came today, going to inspect his work this afternoon... Painter said it was too wet to paint so will be letting it dry overnight so hopefully OK to paint tomorrow...

Will keep everybody posted with the outcome... *fingers crossed*