Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Experienced Plasterer Repaired My Carport Ceiling with Mesh Tape

Default Experienced Plasterer Repaired My Carport Ceiling with Mesh Tape

Hi everyone,

I love these forums! There is such a wealth of information here!!

I had an experienced plasterer (20+ years in the industry) come and repair the joins/cracks to my carport ceiling (which is fibre cement sheeting) and is about the size of a standard garage.

They used mesh tape instead of paper tape for the repair, and gave it three coats. The job looks fantastic, and now I'm worried about what I've read in this forum, about possible cracking.

Should I be concerned? Is there also a sealer and paint that I could use to strengthen the compound/sheet repair work even more so cracking might not occur?

Thanks in Advance,

holesaw

Perhaps they added back blocks above the joints?

I don't believe so, as most of it was braced by existing studs. There were a few areas where there was nothing behind the joins, so should I still be concerned, or what's done is done now?

My thought was that the plasterer being experienced would have taken the best course of action for the job?

Deactivated User

All cement sheet (villaboard?) ceilings that are more than a couple of sheet joins across or along seem to get hairline cracks running down the joins. Just like blue board (9mm cement sheet render base) needing an expansion joint every 3rd join nowadays after render doing the same thing . Not sure of your exact situation but your joins may unfortunately crack again, paper tape or not. I'm unsure of any stopping compound or technique that counters this problem as it's been around a long time now.
    I

Thanks for the information. What should I do if it starts cracking again? Replace the whole ceiling with something else?

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by GDOG View Post
    All cement sheet (villaboard?) ceilings that are more than a couple of sheet joins across or along seem to get hairline cracks running down the joins. Just like blue board (9mm cement sheet render base) needing an expansion joint every 3rd join nowadays after render doing the same thing . Not sure of your exact situation but your joins may unfortunately crack again, paper tape or not. I'm unsure of any stopping compound or technique that counters this problem as it's been around a long time now.
    I
    Totally agree.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by holesaw View Post
    Thanks for the information. What should I do if it starts cracking again? Replace the whole ceiling with something else?
    If it cracks again I would consider plasterboard over the top of the existing, rather than pulling it down.

Mesh tape on any crack repair is a definite no no. Unfortunately 20 years experience does not mean much.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT