Hire the best Gyprock Expert

how to connect a new gyprock wall to rendered masonary

Default how to connect a new gyprock wall to rendered masonary

I am building a partition wall for a bedroom to include some built ins and a study area on the other side, my issue is that the walls appear to be rendered brick how to I transition/join it to my gyprock/plaster wall?

1. Is the new wall going to be perpendicuar to the rendered wall or follow the same
    line?

2. Also, how big is the enclosed area where they are going to join?

In regards to 1. - it may look acceptable to just put in a bit of quad or joining strip at the join and not get too fixated on trying to get the surfaces perfectly matched....

In regards to 2. - would it be a possibility to reline you existing rendered walls in that area with gyprock without having to redo the whole house? That would give a perfectly matched finish.

Default how to connect a new gyprock wall to rendered masonry

There are a couple of ways to connect the two different walls.
    1. Just butt the new Gyprock wall to the existing wall and treat the joint like you would
    in joining two Gyprock walls using tape and wet plaster mix.
    2. Butt the new Gyprock wall to the existing wall and using "No More Gaps" fill the corner
    and scrape off to smooth finish on each wall. I have just done some built ins in two bedrooms and have used the second method quite successfully as once its painted over you can not tell the difference between the new joins and older wall joints.
    I have a paint scraper which is well worn that has a slight curve on each corner which makes it easier to get the corner looking just right.Mind you you do tend to use a lot of the filler but it's quite cheap.
    Life is like a novel with the last page missing.

Last time I did the same job you describe, I cut away the whiteset back so the render was exposed. Flushed as you would for a corner done with two bits of plasterboard. After it was done, it looked sweet (still does actually)

More work than a bead of silicone, but in my humble opinion, worth the extra effort.

cheers

Adam

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

If an internal corner just tape the corner like you would plasterboard.

If you are talking about a butt join then you need to do something different as the expansion and contraction rate of masonry will differ from the plasterboard with a very high chance of the join cracking. To give you proper advice we need more information regarding the application you have in mind.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Quote Originally Posted by rod@plasterbrok View Post
    If an internal corner just tape the corner like you would plasterboard.

If you are talking about a butt join then you need to do something different as the expansion and contraction rate of masonry will differ from the plasterboard with a very high chance of the join cracking. To give you proper advice we need more information regarding the application you have in mind.
    My first application is an internal corner. Which is what I asked about originally.

My second application is to patch up where I am curring a doorway in a masonary wall, which I am currently considering using cement render over bricks, and cornice cement back fill then skim over the top.

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Cornice cement will be much easier to handle than hard plaster if you are not a skilled trowller. So for a small area your thinking is good. For larger areas it would be a bit of a task using cornice cement.

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT