Hire the best Gyprock Expert

How does a car mechanic install celing board

Novice

Default How does a car mechanic install celing board

I don't have a plasterboard lefter but I've got a few floor jacks. so I need to be a bit creative when I put up ceiling board for my bathroom.
    Here is the solution
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 07112009-004-.jpg   07112009-002-.jpg  

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Easier to grab a mate I think LOL
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

You could try an air operated lifter.....little bit homemade though, an old air ram that I control with an old tap breach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2684.jpg  

errr...ecsk.. am I missing something? I believe the board would have had to have been fitted to the ceiling in order for you to even get the jacks and stumps up like that.... so what's the point of the jacks? Once fitted to the ceiling, why do you need the jacks as support?
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Golden Member

Default Man's ingenuity

I think this is all about the different ways in which people can re-use what they have; in fact - as illustrated here - it can become an obsession.

I'm impressed that ther is no blood on the floor from the falling vertical 4x2s; I'm impressed by its cleverness!

But God invented panel lifters - light, easy, one person - to do this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    errr...ecsk.. am I missing something? I believe the board would have had to have been fitted to the ceiling in order for you to even get the jacks and stumps up like that.... so what's the point of the jacks? Once fitted to the ceiling, why do you need the jacks as support?
    I would assume the jacks hold it while he nails it in place. It cost nothing to and probably took 2 minutes to 'build'. Nifty idea I reckon. They were only bathroom sheets so he would have been able to lift them himself, just not able to finish off and nail.
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Retired Marine Engineer 1K Club Member Ashore's Avatar

When I was a little kid the old man put up a new celing in the laundry , He didn't have any car jacks , so he got mum to hold up the other end with a broom , nailed one end was getting off the step lader to do the other end , phone rang and mum ...well did what women do, and after that dad had strong feelings about women in the work place
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

7 nails well placed will hold up a 6m sheet! When we were hanging large 6m ceiling sheets 2 out and nailing (no screw guns back then). One guy would hold the sheet in position while the other (usually me) would get the first 3 nails in on the end, then move to the center and get another 2 nails in then the other guy would get three in his end, then we would stop for a minute or so to get your wind back and complete the nailing off.

It was bloody hard yakka but with precision timing and experience it could be done easily enough.

The trick is to nail the first nails so the heads do not break the surface. you would be surprised at how much they will hold. I still do this when hanging ceilings by hand, I don,t screw home the first 3 screws (unless I'm using the auto gun). It saves a lot of misery if the sheet comes crashing down and those I've had a few.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by murray44 View Post
    I would assume the jacks hold it while he nails it in place. It cost nothing to and probably took 2 minutes to 'build'. Nifty idea I reckon. They were only bathroom sheets so he would have been able to lift them himself, just not able to finish off and nail.
    Exactly, it just free up my son and daughter's hand to hold them while I started to fix it. Professional plasterboard installer could do it in a better way but I'm not

I get each end up above head height and rest the sheets on top of step ladders, and then lift up the final part to prop hard up against the ceiling battens with a couple of 'T' pieces - usually made from 50 x 25 pine so its a bit flexible. Have resheeted the entire house by myself with 3 props...but can be tricky when a sheet starts to slide away and you cannot do anything but watch....

rrobor

My dad was an old farmer and inventor. He used to say the world was full of experts who never found anything but just agreed with one another. Then there was the glorious impert. He didnt know it wouldnt work, so just bloody well did it.

Golden Member

Default The sound of the screw gun jambing!!!!

First day on a ceiling plastering job. Me, a retired soft skinned teacher. 3 story job.
    Before smoko we onload the sheets & pass the little blighters up the stairwell to upper floors. Naughty potty word. Retired teacher cannot talk during smoko.

After smoko, we decide to throw the ceilings. My piss skinny waist had a newly loaded nail bag with all the usual weight. Standing on the plank we throw the sheet up and hold it above our heads. Alas the nail bag slowly takes my dacks down. Very amusing and highly distracting to other workers.

The screw guns that were actually working and their operators collapsed in fits of laughter.
    I reckon that screw guns are good unionists. "One out, all out"
    George

rrobor

NOT HAPPY JAN ! ! I thought my dad was a dead cert for the funny of the week, now Im not so sure.

After seeing the replies I can't help myself......

Look at the subject 'How does a car mechanic install celing board"....

"Hopefully with clean hands"..... oil and grease are a bugger to get of plasterboard.
    Steve

Live while you're alive and sleep when you're dead

If the truth be known.

He probably will leave dirty hand prints everywhere, not have all the bits, he won't have the job done on time, it will be more expensive than you first thought, and when the job is done you'll think to yourself "dunno if it's any better after all that work".

Just joking ecsk.
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

troweljockey

Default my 2 bobs

Righto, this is how i put ceiling sheets up to 3m long by myself .
    Get 3 long nails,nail into wall top plate so nail is sticking out horizontal.
    Leave about 30mm gap between nail and ceiling joist.
    Lift sheet edge onto nails,then lift rest of sheet onto ceiling.Use rods trick of leaving fixing spikes proud for first few nails/screws.
    Fix off sheet,remove big nails from top plate.
    This works ok for small rooms two sheets wide,where a sheetlifter is too crowded.
    Now how does a plasterer change a rear main seal in his beat up old hiace.Bugger!
    Hooroo ,have fun
    Brendan.