Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Is this lazy or am i fussy???

1K Club Member

Default Is this lazy or am i fussy???

Hi

Got a coy in doing all my cornice and ceiling roses for house and extension. Im a bit peeved about how they have corniced around my pantry. There is a bulk head either side of pantry. One is 300 and the other is 570. The pantry its self is 630. Basically as you can see in the pic they have completely bypassed the small corner where the larger bulk head is. (On left).

To me this is so unprofessional and lazy. I would never think that i could get away with that at my work.

For you experienced guys. Is it too hard/impossible to mitre around that corner? Am i being too fussy? I have already had to prove to these guys that they put my ceiling rose 300 mm off centre in my open plan - not impressed. I cant be bothered arguing about this and would rather just cut it with a multitool and fix it myself - is this possible?

imageuploadedbytapatalk1422527095.690948.jpg

I don't see how on earth you can get decent cuts on such a tiny rebate, that I suspect will be far superior to a couple of ultra tiny angles.

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micky013 View Post
    Hi

Got a coy in doing all my cornice and ceiling roses for house and extension. Im a bit peeved about how they have corniced around my pantry. There is a bulk head either side of pantry. One is 300 and the other is 570. The pantry its self is 630. Basically as you can see in the pic they have completely bypassed the small corner where the larger bulk head is. (On left).

To me this is so unprofessional and lazy. I would never think that i could get away with that at my work.

For you experienced guys. Is it too hard/impossible to mitre around that corner? Am i being too fussy? I have already had to prove to these guys that they put my ceiling rose 300 mm off centre in my open plan - not impressed. I cant be bothered arguing about this and would rather just cut it with a multitool and fix it myself - is this possible?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422527095.690948.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	104434
    Shocking job. They should have mitred around it. Yes lazy. It is not an easy job to get it right in the first place but with a bit of care no problems. You can cut it back with a multi tool and put a small bit in around the corner but this is no simple job to get it looking right.

The left hand length has to be cut perfect. To do this you need to make a square line about say 300mm out from the corner then deduct off the cornice projection

Say the projection (on the ceiling) is 210mm then you measure 90mm back toward the corner along the top member. That will give you the point to cut back to the corner for the internal mitre. You need to cut it very accurately or you will end up scalloping out the centre of the mitre. This will need great care with the tool held on the correct angle. You will need to replace the right hand side length as it wont be long enough to create an external mitre.

All round not an easy job and if not done right it will look very bad as it will be a focal point.

Good luck with it! It needs fixing!!

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    I don't see how on earth you can get decent cuts on such a tiny rebate, that I suspect will be far superior to a couple of ultra tiny angles.
    Not a problem you just need to take it really, really slow with the saw using virtually no pressure. Jobs like this need particular attention to detail. Unfortunately there are not that many out there either with the patience or the skill for such detail.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

1K Club Member

Thanks Rod. You confirmed my worst fear.

Yep ... that's one of those areas that would look like a work of art if done well ... but really bad if not. I hope you manage it.

7K Club Member

How disrespectful of such a lovely plaster cornice! Sounds like the type of tradies that would say "why don't you just use cove?"

1K Club Member

Well i spoke to the boss and he said they tried but couldn't do it - even pointed to a pile of tiny off cuts. Personally i think they're either lazy or incapable of doing it - not impossible IMO.

Projections are 250 ceiling and 250 wall so its a decent size. Im a bit scared to cut it especially if i have to take off the piece on the front of the pantry.

Worst case i stuff it and need to get some different guys in to fix it. Theyre are finishing today so ill have the weekend to think about it - even though i know i cant bring my self to look at it like that.

Mreh!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky013 View Post
    Well i spoke to the boss and he said they tried but couldn't do it - even pointed to a pile of tiny off cuts. Personally i think they're either lazy or incapable of doing it - not impossible IMO.

Projections are 250 ceiling and 250 wall so its a decent size. Im a bit scared to cut it especially if i have to take off the piece on the front of the pantry.

Worst case i stuff it and need to get some different guys in to fix it. Theyre are finishing today so ill have the weekend to think about it - even though i know i cant bring my self to look at it like that.

Mreh!
    They cant do it but it can be done and should be done. Even if the cut the internal and external mitre and filled in the small section as a solid block of plaster. I shake my head.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Golden Member

Too late now, but if the bulkhead above the opening was packed out, that little dog leg in the cornice would not present a problem. Of course this depends on what is on the wall to the right of the picture.

1K Club Member

imageuploadedbytapatalk1422614800.649573.jpg

Thats the pantry in the background with bulk heads either side. The bulk head on the left is the one in the close up with the pantry being on the right. Not sure what your talking about re packing out. The bulk heads need to be that depth as o/h cupboards will be under them.

Totally agree with you Rod. Bit disappointed

Golden Member

Again too late but the problem may have been avoided. If the bulkhead had been designed to come out further into the room ( ie to be flush with corner diagional), then that may have solved the problem. Then again the angle of the diagonal corner piece may have needed some adjustment. It looks an interesting room. Hope that it turns out well.

1K Club Member

Thanks mate. Sadly too late. As i said, bulk heads couldnt be adjusted - they are set to sit back 18mm from outside of the overhead cabinets. If they went flush they would stick out and it would look stupid.

Just another disappointment from outside party - ill get over it

Cheers guys

1K Club Member

The manufacturer of the fibrous cornice and roses has said to undercoat with a oil based primer followed by what ever coating i choose.

I know they suggest that but can i get away with a solver psu which i will be coating the new ceiling and walls with?