Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Lining single skin brick garage for granny flat conversion - Help!

JAH

Question Lining single skin brick garage for granny flat conversion - Help!

I am converting our single skin brick garage to a granny flat and want to gyprock the exposed brick walls. What trades do I need to get in before gyprocking? Do I need to paint the walls with some kind waterproofing product, then get a carpenter to frame the walls, then electrician/plumber, then gyprock??? Is it common practice to put wall insulation in? We don't have much money to spend and want to deal direct with the trades rather than employ a builder. Is this foolish or possible? Advice to get me started would be really appreciated.

Start with council to see if allowed to convert before spending heaps of money and find out you need approval and council wont allow it, as it raises issues with fire safety, it is becoming a habitable room, distance to boundaries etc can become problematic.
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAH View Post
    I am converting our single skin brick garage to a granny flat and want to gyprock the exposed brick walls. What trades do I need to get in before gyprocking? Do I need to paint the walls with some kind waterproofing product, then get a carpenter to frame the walls, then electrician/plumber, then gyprock??? Is it common practice to put wall insulation in? We don't have much money to spend and want to deal direct with the trades rather than employ a builder. Is this foolish or possible? Advice to get me started would be really appreciated.
    Direct stick on to the brick with either cornice adhesive or masonary adhesive is the cheapest way to go, info on my site how to do it. You can stick plaster blocks on the wall to allow for cables etc. Or the next best method is using "betta fix" clips and 13mm furing channel. Search the site here there are threads on this.

Normally no insulation but if using betta fix clips you can use 13mm or 16mm foil backed polysyrene insulation it pushes over the clips then you put on the channels.

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Apprentice (new member)

As rod said, the best option is to use furring channel and batten out the walls then fix the board straight to this. This will also allow for any movement preventing cracking. if you want to insulate you can also get a product called cool therm which is foam insulation bonded to the plasterboard this can then be fixed straight to the furring channel.

I agree but personally I would paint the back of the brick wall with a water resistant damp proof pint such as hydrocrete and cement.

Ounce of prevention is worth a tonne of cure ~ Neil Menchetti
    https://www.instagram.com/perth_bricklayer_wa