Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Plastering for old garage

Novice

Default Plastering for old garage

Hi,

I have about 70 years old garage, brick walls with infill concrete slab. No damp proofing was applied at the time when it was built, so moisture on the floor and in the walls is a constant problem. It comes and goes depending on the weather, but I have to always make sure nothing that could be affected by moisture is placed directly on the floor, in particular close to the walls.
    Recently we we considering laying another slab on top of the existing one, with proper moisture barrier, and injecting a chemical damp course in the brickwork. This lead to the next thought, to plaster the walls so it is properly enclosed to stop rubbish blown in by the wind, etc. Can someone advise whether the plaster could be laid onto the brick walls directly, or we would need to get a carpenter to build a timber frame inside the brick shell before we could engage a plasterer?

Thanks.

What's the goal? To have a dry garage or to convert it for another use? If it is just to make it dry, then you could look at floor coatings - there are many designed for garage floors. If laying a secondary slab, my guess is that you would have to have it pretty thick to allow vehicles to drive on it.

Why are the walls damp? Is there guttering and flashing and is it adequate? Does the roof have adequate fall and is it watertight? Is there earth built up against the other side (sealing the underground bricks and installing a membrane and ag drain would help)? Is rain able to soak into the top of the bricks (flashing the top might help)? Or is moisture just soaking in from rain hitting the outside (painting or sealing the outside might help). There are also products designed to seal brickwork - some of which are claimed to penetrate a long way.

If you have damp bricks now, then I doubt plaster glued onto the walls is a good idea even if you fix the source of the problem, as the bricks will take a while to dry out.

Novice

The original goal is to make the garage dry. Coatings for the existing concrete won't work as the existing concrete is crumbling in certain areas.
    One of the walls has a build up of soil from the next door neighbour's. I plan to coat the wall with water proofing coating.

The plastering is not about keeping it dry. Once the garage is dry, we thought we could plaster it like they do garages now days. That way we'd have it properly enclosed to stop rubbish, leaves from the surrounding trees, etc., getting in. This doesn't matter for the cars parked in the garage, but it would make for a much cleaner storage space.

2K Club Member

I can't quite understand how plastering the walls will stop leaves getting in. Won't the brick walls and the door do that already?

Novice

There are gaps where the roof sits on the beams, in particular on one end. It's just the way it was built at the time. So it happens, the wind seems to blow usually from that direction, hence the leaves.
    At times I've seen small lizards running on the walls and they leave droppings everywhere.
    I suppose I could just seal the gaps, but plastered it would look nicer. Could paint the concrete floor too.
    Anyway, just considering the options for now. Nothing concrete yet.

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Furring channel onto the walls with a "betta fix" clip is the way to go. I would put foil board behind the furring channel as well. I will form a moisture barrier and the F C will create an air gap. Problem solved.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Novice

That seems easy enough. Thank you for the advice.