Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Is this price OK?

Novice

Default Is this price OK?

Hey wise people
    Once again I am faced with a dilemma when it comes to getting outside work done. I know it's best to get a couple of quotes but it seems I'm in an area where people just don't want the work.
    I've contacted half a dozen plasterers to quote our job and only one has come out when he said, quoted when he said and given a price that we think we can handle. The trouble is since we have no quotes to compare it to how the hell are we supposed to know if it's a good quote. To tell you the truth if they can't get a quote back when they say they will can we trust them to do the job on time?
    Ok so we have a large house (5 bed and 2 bath) 216m2 plus a 6.8m2 portico and 52.5m2 verandah that we need covered. This local guy has come back with just over $13K for the whole job supplied and installed including GST. Does this sound reasonable?

Had the same issue with plumbing quote. Only half a dozen people in this area do the septic system we needed and only 1 gave us a quote so ended up with the job. Bloody frustrating.

Thanks

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEnough View Post
    Hey wise people
    Once again I am faced with a dilemma when it comes to getting outside work done. I know it's best to get a couple of quotes but it seems I'm in an area where people just don't want the work.
    I've contacted half a dozen plasterers to quote our job and only one has come out when he said, quoted when he said and given a price that we think we can handle. The trouble is since we have no quotes to compare it to how the hell are we supposed to know if it's a good quote. To tell you the truth if they can't get a quote back when they say they will can we trust them to do the job on time?
    Ok so we have a large house (5 bed and 2 bath) 216m2 plus a 6.8m2 portico and 52.5m2 verandah that we need covered. This local guy has come back with just over $13K for the whole job supplied and installed including GST. Does this sound reasonable?

Had the same issue with plumbing quote. Only half a dozen people in this area do the septic system we needed and only 1 gave us a quote so ended up with the job. Bloody frustrating.

Thanks
    How many M2 of plasterboard, what type of cornice, any features, battens, access etc???

So many things determine what is a reasonable price.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Novice

I worked it out as approx 370m2 of walls and approx 70m2 of wet walls plus 216m2 ceiling
    75mm cornice
    inside roof area is 200m2 then there will be 16m2 of set villaboard for an outside alfresco and the portico is also being done this way and then just fibre cement and that plastic join stuff for the verandah. We're putting in all the ceiling battens beforehand and we'll put in all the insulation as well.
    Not sure what you mean by features?

Hey wise people
    .... Bloody frustrating.

Thanks
    I know it doesn't help, but you are doing well. I am chasing a few trades here in Perth Hills and it is even worse.

Novice

thanks for that
    It would of been better if our original plan to do it ourselves held up but with a husband who unfortunately broke a collarbone and his leg we are so far behind we need to spend money we don't have on this.

I worked it out as approx 370m2 of walls and approx 70m2 of wet walls plus 216m2 ceiling
    75mm cornice
    inside roof area is 200m2 then there will be 16m2 of set villaboard for an outside alfresco and the portico is also being done this way and then just fibre cement and that plastic join stuff for the verandah. We're putting in all the ceiling battens beforehand and we'll put in all the insulation as well.
    Not sure what you mean by features?
    Based onthese quantities I think your price is on the high side. Get some others IMO
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Novice

well someone else did get me another quote this morning and it's $1500 more expensive then the first one. Probably in a big city I could get the job done heaps cheaper but we're in the sticks so we expect slightly higher prices. Feel a bit better about price now that I've gotten another quote

I got a quote for $15700 inc gst, for nearly 700m2 of sheeting, with wet areas etc, finished(regional area).....we are now doing it ourselves.
    hope it helps.

woodchip

Quote Originally Posted by woodchip View Post
    I got a quote for $15700 inc gst, for nearly 700m2 of sheeting, with wet areas etc, finished(regional area).....we are now doing it ourselves.
    hope it helps.

woodchip
    I'm moving to the bush!!

Interesting fact, I did 15 houses in Tassie this year, was able to send contractors down on the boat with cars, accomadate them and pay a living away allowance of $80 a day and was about the same price as the locals.

The diffence was we were able to complete the jobs on schedule.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT