Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Rondo Ceiling Battens/Furring Channels on Steel Trusses

Novice

Default Rondo Ceiling Battens/Furring Channels on Steel Trusses

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on installing Rondo Ceiling Furring Channels (308) and/or Ceiling Battens (301).

I'm renovating our bedroom on the first floor and have removed the existing old gyprock ceiling as I'm installing new gyprock on the ceilings and walls and want to have a squareset finish.
    The ceiling joists are actually galvanised steel trusses on 600mm centres. I've run a straight edge at different points in the room and there are a few trusses which are a couple of centimetres out of level so its not completely flat.
    So I'm thinking of installing Rondo Furring Channels/Battens on clips @450 mm centres (for 10mm plasterboard) to try and get it all level. I haven't done this before so I have a few questions I hope you can advise on

1. What type of screw should I use to fix the Rondo clips to the steel trusses. I'm thinking I can't use standard gyprock needle point screws due to sheer strength. Also do the screws need to be galvanised or is zinc fine?
    2. When I look at the vertical flat sides of the steel trusses where I would screw the Rondo clips to they aren't perfectly plumb i.e. have a slight slope on them. Would this matter or is it just a matter of getting the clip to the right level for the channel even if its not quite plumb?
    3. For the ceiling edges that are parallel to the Rondo channels do you just run a furring channel as close as possible to the wall/ceiling joint to support the squareset join?
    4. For the ceiling edges that are perpendicular to the Rondo channels i.e. at the channel ends, is this where you install a wall track for the furring channel to fit into (142 for the 308).Is there an equivalent wall track for the 301 Ceiling battens?

I've attached some photos of the steel trusses. The existing plasterboard was screwed to the trusses with drill point screws and I think was 13mm plasterboard due to the 600mm span.

Thanks again for all your help.

img_20200520_120335.jpgimg_20200520_120319.jpgimg_20200520_120357.jpgimg_20200520_120420.jpgimg_20200520_120435.jpg

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlitog View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on installing Rondo Ceiling Furring Channels (308) and/or Ceiling Battens (301).

I'm renovating our bedroom on the first floor and have removed the existing old gyprock ceiling as I'm installing new gyprock on the ceilings and walls and want to have a squareset finish.
    The ceiling joists are actually galvanised steel trusses on 600mm centres. I've run a straight edge at different points in the room and there are a few trusses which are a couple of centimetres out of level so its not completely flat.
    So I'm thinking of installing Rondo Furring Channels/Battens on clips @450 mm centres (for 10mm plasterboard) to try and get it all level. I haven't done this before so I have a few questions I hope you can advise on

1. What type of screw should I use to fix the Rondo clips to the steel trusses. I'm thinking I can't use standard gyprock needle point screws due to sheer strength. Also do the screws need to be galvanised or is zinc fine? 12 0r 16mm tek screw zinc is fine
    2. When I look at the vertical flat sides of the steel trusses where I would screw the Rondo clips to they aren't perfectly plumb i.e. have a slight slope on them. Would this matter or is it just a matter of getting the clip to the right level for the channel even if its not quite plumb? No it doesn't matter
    3. For the ceiling edges that are parallel to the Rondo channels do you just run a furring channel as close as possible to the wall/ceiling joint to support the squareset join? Just run it close
    4. For the ceiling edges that are perpendicular to the Rondo channels i.e. at the channel ends, is this where you install a wall track for the furring channel to fit into (142 for the 308).Is there an equivalent wall track for the 301 Ceiling battens? No need for the track as long as you can clip at least 200mm from the wall

I've attached some photos of the steel trusses. The existing plasterboard was screwed to the trusses with drill point screws and I think was 13mm plasterboard due to the 600mm span.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hope that helps
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Novice

Hi Rod, thanks for taking the time to reply.

That helps heaps and gets me going in the right direction. Appreciate the info on the type of screws needed also - that will save me hours of staring at screws in Bunnings.

At one end of the room a truss is right next to the top wall plate so it sounds as though I don't need the wall track there. At the other end of the room the nearest truss is 500mm away so I will get a wall track for that end.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dyson View Post

Hope that helps

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Get all your materials from a Plasterboard Store. They will be cheaper and will have the screws you need.
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Novice

Thanks Rod, will take your advice.

Cheers

Novice

Thanks again for your help Rod. I've now got the 308 furring channels up (I have a few clips to finish off screwing) with wall tracks on both ends.

I also added a wall track on the outside wall as I couldn't get the channel close enough to the wall as the clips hit the angle steel coming down.

Pretty happy with it - I user a laser for levelling which helped immensely.

img_20200609_163406.jpgimg_20200609_163426.jpg