Hire the best Gyprock Expert

Water damage to back of platerboard sheets

Default Water damage to back of platerboard sheets

Hi,

I've had corrugated iron off the side of the house as they'd rusted where they had been sitting in dirt. I've been waiting until I can afford new sheets and figure out how to cut them to size as I've cemented the area now and they aren't going to match the old ones.

Unfortunately the paper has delaminated off the gyprock behind the kitchen wall. It is behind kitchen cupboards so replacing it isn't an option. What can I do to fix it before I put the new sheets of corrugated iron off? I've seen here that paper tape can be put across the sheet to cover it. Is that supposed to all be bedded in with basecoat, and covered with another layer of basecoat? That won't be easy either as it can only be done between the studs.

I don't think the core is too damaged. Rain rarely lasts longer than a quick shower here so it would quickly dry out again.

Thanks for any help. I've learnt a lot here and am just finishing plastering a whole room, including skim coating one old wall. It looks great, and is only because of all the great advice I've read on this forum.

Can you put a pic up of the de-lamination.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sapienreno View Post
    I've had corrugated iron off the side of the house as they'd rusted where they had been sitting in dirt. I've been waiting until I can afford new sheets and figure out how to cut them to size as I've cemented the area now and they aren't going to match the old ones.

Unfortunately the paper has delaminated off the gyprock behind the kitchen wall. It is behind kitchen cupboards so replacing it isn't an option. What can I do to fix it before I put the new sheets of corrugated iron off? I've seen here that paper tape can be put across the sheet to cover it. Is that supposed to all be bedded in with basecoat, and covered with another layer of basecoat? That won't be easy either as it can only be done between the studs.

I don't think the core is too damaged. Rain rarely lasts longer than a quick shower here so it would quickly dry out again.

Thanks for any help. I've learnt a lot here and am just finishing plastering a whole room, including skim coating one old wall.
    This is an "interesting" post, from "Remote outback NSW".

While it is a pity that the rear of the (non-insulated ?) plasterboard was rain damaged while the external cladding was absent, let us hope that the damage was not too severe.

Since cosmetic appearance will not be significant in this situation, my suggestion would be to paint all the now "exposed" (and, hopefully dry) rear surfaces with an acrylic exterior paint.
    This should ensure that little if any further damage will take place before the external "cladding" is reinstated and it will "bind" any existing surface damage - at little cost.

Before you "
    put the new sheets of corrugated iron on" have you considered installing any appropriate wall insulation?
    Even if this is but a small proportion of the surface area of the building, every little bit helps.

A late answer. The plaster core was intact so I painted over it with the exterior paint. It worked really well. We also installed insulation and have attached the Colorbond. So all good.

7K Club Member

A late answer. ...
    exactly one year since your original post. Gold

I've been a bit busy trying to work out how to do many other jobs. I had a deal with the neighbour that he'd build a 40m fence if I paid for the materials. I ended up building it. I'm getting muscles on my muscles. Also lots of concreting being done and am about to start putting down paths. Also building gates now.

1K Club Member

A late answer. The plaster core was intact so I painted over it with the exterior paint. It worked really well. We also installed insulation and have attached the Colorbond. So all good.
    Thanks for the report.
    Glad that all went well.