Hire the best Tiler

How to fix this crack?

Apprentice (new member)

Default How to fix this crack?

Hi, I have some tilts are cracked near my front door. Any advice about how to fix it? DIY or better to hire a professional guy?

I can DIY some simple jobs if there are clear steps available.

Thank you all.
    img_20160104_171007.jpg

2K Club Member

Do you have some spare tiles that match?

2K Club Member

Those are looking a bit dated anyway. I reckon a remove and replace with something more contemporary would be worthwhile

3K Club Member

Looking at the cracks I would not be at all surprised if the section of concrete under them has broken and is the cause of the cracks.

Not a major repair, but will need added steel rods to prevent it happening again.

Suggest you remove the cracked tiles and confirm the condition of the base before anything else.

Good luck and fair wind.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    Do you have some spare tiles that match?
    No

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaltoz View Post
    Not a major repair, but will need added steel rods to prevent it happening again.
    Sounds like not a small job either. What kind of technical guy can do this? Thanks.

Because the damage is so small I would be inclined to uncover the affected area and see what is happening. To me and from just that one photo, it seems someone drove over it with a car (?) If the damage is limited to that spot, once you uncover it and post some photos we may be able to suggest how to repair it. Most tiling places keep old stock at hand and since you need so little you may be in luck. However the most important part is to fix the underlaying concrete ... if it is concrete.
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

Apprentice (new member)

img_20160117_113452.jpg

kindly refer to the above updated post. I guess it is cracked because I moved the icebox and washing machine into door. The heavy machines crack the tiles.

BTW, I cannot update the original post?

Ice box? wow ... OK ... ... that explains it somehow. So cracked under pressure hei?

That is good and bad at the same time. We know now it cracked due to external forces and not because of subsidence. One plus ... one minus is that the concrete must be cr@# to give way just because of the weight of a fridge. Which tells me that perhaps it is not concrete at the edge but the concrete has been squared off with a bit of mortar and good luck to you.
    I would try to carefully chisel away at the area, (carefully) and see how hard or soft the substrate is, and uncover the damaged area until you find the concrete. Don't go troppo and demolish half the veranda. Just very localised where the crack is.
    You have to then rebuild the base before you patch up the tiles. You could drill very carefully some small holes and bang in very carefully some reo to hold the concrete patch in place. Apply boncrete and square off with 2:1 sand cement mix. After a week you can try to tile it.

If you find that the tiles just came off and the concrete base is good, all you need to do is clean off the old glue, scrape the concrete clean and get some tiles and exterior tile glue and Bob is your uncle.
    Just a general indication as to what you might be able to do. It all depends what you find when you CAREFULLY dig around.
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by deliriousmagica View Post

kindly refer to the above updated post. I guess it is cracked because I moved the icebox and washing machine into door. The heavy machines crack the tiles.
    You have received some very good advice from "Marc" on this subject.
    However, please let me add a bit more.

Assuming that you re-tile the whole width of the step concerned, include under the front edge of the tile a "Tile Trim Straight Edge" - preferably made of Brass.
    (Bunnings do carry them but I cannot now locate a reference for them in their on line catalog.)

If you look up "Tile Trim Straight Edge" you will see imagines of that to which I refer.
    These are available in various sizes (to suit the thickness of the tiles being used) and the metal will "take" loads, such as those to which you have subjected the original tiles, and so reduce the chance of the tiles chipping on their front edge.

If you are looking for someone to do it for you, check your local community (free) newspaper, Gumtree, or even the message boards at the local shops for either a handyman or a tiler looking for small jobs. You should be able to get it redone (all tiles up... as I don't like your chances of finding matching replacements), retile and grout for maybe $250-500.
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

1K Club Member

These jobs are always a pain. For a reasonable fix, I would cut off the trashed bits (looks like about 50mm) using a diamond disc and angle grinder. DTA have 50mm stair edge extrusion and there are similar width stair edge tiles available also. Both can be fixed in place with quality tile adhesive. Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkyt View Post
    These jobs are always a pain. For a reasonable fix, I would cut off the trashed bits (looks like about 50mm) using a diamond disc and angle grinder. DTA have 50mm stair edge extrusion and there are similar width stair edge tiles available also. Both can be fixed in place with quality tile adhesive. Good luck and have fun!
    +1
    Something like this would be available from your local tile shop:

OR